• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boyfriend kick me out of our house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

akas

Missouri. My boyfriend and I have a daughter, she is 4 1/2 years old. We bought a house, but it is only under his name. We have lived in it since January 2003. If we get in an argument and the police are called, can he inform the police to make me leave? Of course, I would take my daughter with me. If the police are called it would be because he is drunk and being abusive.

Thanks.

nextwife

If you BOTH bought the house, WHY would you not also have taken title? Unless you are on title, as an unmarried woman, you don't have any claim to ownership.

A

akas

Our money is in the same checking account. When we went through the process of buying a house, we used just his information, due to myself having bad credit.

ellencee

Missouri. My boyfriend and I have a daughter, she is 4 1/2 years old. We bought a house, but it is only under his name. We have lived in it since January 2003. If we get in an argument and the police are called, can he inform the police to make me leave? Of course, I would take my daughter with me. If the police are called it would be because he is drunk and being abusive.
akas

I think this question has been answered before and the answer was that he would have to evict you in accordance with the law. The police might advise you to get out of the house for your own safety and that is what I am going to advise you to do. If you can leave with your daughter when he is drunk and abusive and the police tell you to leave, then you can take your daughter and leave now.

You have no idea what this is doing to that precious little girl of yours. She can't make the decision to go where people aren't drunk and abusive. She has to live in the environment that you provide for her. She deserves better.

Chances are, he will never change. He certainly won't change without a reason to see what he has cost himself by drinking and being abusive. You need to take away his victims, which are you and the child.

Please think more of yourself and your child than you do for this man and leave when he is sober and hopefully, not at home.

Best wishes,
EC

A

akas

Missouri. I have been with this guy since 1987. And just in the last 6 months he has started to get abusive. We had a talk since the last time it happened. To make a long story short. I told him if he does it again the police will be called and I don't care if I have to leave the house. It really upsets me when I pour my money into the house and might have to leave it all behind, but it might just happen. I just need to know my rights for this situation. Thanks for all replying.

JETX

"When we went through the process of buying a house, we used just his information, due to myself having bad credit."
*** The process of mortgage application and approval that you say excluded you (due to bad credit) is completely separate from the issue of ownership. Simply, his name can be on the mortgage and both names on the title. In order to protect yourself, I would suggest that you consider the following:
1) Try to get your name on the title of the property.
2) If he refuses, then you need to try to protect yourself by separating the money. Let him be 100% responsible for the house note (not a joint account) and you can agree to split any other reasonable and provable costs. If you do this, save as much money as you can, since you will have nothing if/when this relationship breaks up.

nailtech

of course you can get out with your daughter while your still alive and well, and chalk the money gone to bad rent...

nextwife

The source of funds to make mortgage payments is irrelevant to determining who is in the chain of title. IF you were married, then, as spouse, there may be implied marital property or homestead rights even if you are not on title. But unmarried,you don't eveb have that.

I'd get out while the gettin's good and chalk up the payments as a rental expense, or roomate fee. Legally, you are NOT considered an owner. A title company would not require you join in to any conveyance selling the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">