• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my grandpa sue for his money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjtamas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina.
My grandpa and grandma share a savings account and retirement fund. However, my grandma took the majority of the money out of the account without anyone's knowledge and gambled it away. She has has a history of gambling. They are now in the process of getting a divorce but we are not sure if my grandpa will be able to sue for the money back considering they were on a shared account. Any advice on what we can do please?

if my grandpa will be able to sue for the money back
No, he can't. If Grandma was already known to have a history of gambling problems and Grandpa put her on the account as a signatory, then he should have already known better. It is also considered community property, as they are married. Tough luck for Grandpa. I would imagine that he won't be putting anyone else's names on his accounts anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">