• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you expedite a name change....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harmonix1

.....if the reason you have for wanting/needing it expedited is acceptable?

I live in Massachusetts and have for the past 3 years. I recently filed the petition for a name change and there were no problems with the process (I have no criminal record), I paid the fee in full and they copied my birth certificate. I was asked for a daytime number and was told I would be called when the judge can see me. I don't know how long I am supposed to wait, but I've read that a name change without any problems takes on average 2-4 weeks. Another site said name changes can take anywhere from 1 day to 6 months.

I'm a patient person, and I'm not expecting this to be done overnight. However, in the past few days, things (mainly money and family issues) have happened that are forcing me to unexpectedly move out of state by June 30, and there's a big chance I won't be back in MA. I'm worried that my name change won't happen in time, or that I'll get the call to see the judge while I'm out of state, without enough time or money to fly up for what will probably be a very quick visit to the court.

As it is, I need to buy my plane ticket, but I don't want to risk buying it under the "wrong" name. I also need to get an ID card and give the information to my bank in person (the bank I use does not have a single branch in the state where I will be moving).

Is there any way to explain my situation and possibly get the court date moved a little sooner? It would really be a load off my shoulders amidst the stress currently going on in my life. Thanks.

Gracie3787

.....if the reason you have for wanting/needing it expedited is acceptable?

I live in Massachusetts and have for the past 3 years. I recently filed the petition for a name change and there were no problems with the process (I have no criminal record), I paid the fee in full and they copied my birth certificate. I was asked for a daytime number and was told I would be called when the judge can see me. I don't know how long I am supposed to wait, but I've read that a name change without any problems takes on average 2-4 weeks. Another site said name changes can take anywhere from 1 day to 6 months.

I'm a patient person, and I'm not expecting this to be done overnight. However, in the past few days, things (mainly money and family issues) have happened that are forcing me to unexpectedly move out of state by June 30, and there's a big chance I won't be back in MA. I'm worried that my name change won't happen in time, or that I'll get the call to see the judge while I'm out of state, without enough time or money to fly up for what will probably be a very quick visit to the court.

As it is, I need to buy my plane ticket, but I don't want to risk buying it under the "wrong" name. I also need to get an ID card and give the information to my bank in person (the bank I use does not have a single branch in the state where I will be moving).

Is there any way to explain my situation and possibly get the court date moved a little sooner? It would really be a load off my shoulders amidst the stress currently going on in my life. Thanks.
What are the exact reasons that you have to leave the state and want your name change expedited?

harmonix1

Well, I mainly want the name change expedited because of my having to leave the state. (It would be easiest/cheapest/less stressful to get things done while I'm here, rather than get the call, try to quickly fly back here, stay in a hotel, get new documents, fly back home, etc.) This was not planned, so if I didn't have to leave, of course I'd be willing to wait however long I needed to, without complaints.

There are a few things that have contributed to me having to leave. First off, I am no longer actively employed here. I recently lost my job and am living off of my savings with a little help from my parents. I live with a roommate, and in the past few weeks, it's become increasingly difficult to live with him. Besides his bad hygiene, unreliability, and money problems, I'm never able to sleep because he is so loud, and now his even louder girlfriend has more or less moved in with us. I don't agree with any of this, but I'm unable to kick him out or find a replacement (I've looked without any luck), and can not cover rent/bills or the price of breaking the lease on my own. (The lease runs out in August.) Basically, it's either stay and deal with it, or I can leave myself. My parents support my decision to leave, and a paper is about to be signed saying I will be taken off the lease and will no longer be liable.

I had planned on finding a new apartment in the area once the lease ended, but long story short, through a little bit of networking I ended up getting a job on the other side of the country, where the cost of living is significantly lower. I'm excited about the idea of getting out of this living situation and about this new job. I'd like it to feel like a fresh start... I'd like to have this name change over with so I don't have to worry about paying for extra flights/hotels and taking time off from a job I just started. Like I said, flying back and staying in a hotel seems a bit excessive for what will probably be a ten minute visit with the judge. ;)

There's a few other issues contributing to the situation, but those are the main ones. I'd like to get my id cards/bank info/checks/new lease/etc. squared away before moving on with my life. I've already been using the name for years, I just filed the petition to make it completely official. I've heard that reasonable name changes are rarely denied, and since I have a spotless record and the court appearance is so short, I guess I just don't understand why it wouldn't be possible to speed up the process. I'm not needing it expedited as in "Hey, can this be done tomorrow".... I do plan on asking them this week for an estimated date (they didn't give me one when I filed), although I don't want to seem impatient or rude. There's the possibility that they were planning on giving me a court date rather soon already, and in that case, there's not much of a problem. I'm basically just asking if it is possible for them to consider moving it up some, since I'm having to leave. (On a related note, I need to buy my plane ticket... but I don't want to risk buying it under one name or the other, and then have to explain why the names on my ticket and id card are different.) :p

Also, I apologize for my long reply.

harmonix1

I was told publication would not be necessary. The lady asked for a daytime phone number and said she would call when the judge can see me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">