• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you make a 17 year old come home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doc2b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

A friend of ours (who is going through a divorce) has a daughter who is 17 and has decided that she wants to live with her 20 yr old boyfriend and his parents. His parents are okay with this, hers are not. She up and left, has been staying there for weeks and won't go home. Her parents have called the police twice, who said they can't make her go home if she doesn't want to...is this true? She's been missing school for a week and I know that mom and dad are ultimately still responsible for her actions ( at least until she comes of age). Anyone have any ideas what they should do and I'll pass it along? Dad's attorney has told him that he should sign emancipation papers like the daughter is requesting...I can't see signing off on your kid as an acceptable solution to this, but I don't know how all that works, either.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

A friend of ours (who is going through a divorce) has a daughter who is 17 and has decided that she wants to live with her 20 yr old boyfriend and his parents. His parents are okay with this, hers are not. She up and left, has been staying there for weeks and won't go home. Her parents have called the police twice, who said they can't make her go home if she doesn't want to...is this true? She's been missing school for a week and I know that mom and dad are ultimately still responsible for her actions ( at least until she comes of age). Anyone have any ideas what they should do and I'll pass it along? Dad's attorney has told him that he should sign emancipation papers like the daughter is requesting...I can't see signing off on your kid as an acceptable solution to this, but I don't know how all that works, either.

Thanks.
Who are you in this scenario?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The minor's parents should file a police complaint against boyfriend's parents and the boyfriend for contributing to the delinquency of the minor AND custodial interference.

doc2b

Who are you in this scenario?
Sorry...this is a friend of my husband (they're also coworkers) and myself.

It seems like I've seen so many threads on here where people are told to just go get their kids...and they've tried and are being told they can't because she's 17.

doc2b

The minor's parents should file a police complaint against boyfriend's parents and the boyfriend for contributing to the delinquency of the minor AND custodial interference.
Thank you OG, I'll pass it along now.

Man, I feel bad for kids and parents alike going through divorce...so much drama (better than the drama in an unhappy household is sometimes, I guess)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Damn straight you can make a 17 year old come home. As another contributor often says, 17 is not 18 lite.

Just Blue

They told the parents that they couldn't force the 17 year old to go home...they wouldn't even show up at the boyfriend's residence.

It's really a shame the way the police behave around here...
Got to the Supervisor. If that doesn't do it, go to the media...

doc2b

Got to the Supervisor. If that doesn't do it, go to the media...
That's kind of what I told my husband to pass along (didn't think about the media, though), along with OG's advice of filing a complaint against the bf and his parents. It's a sad situation, though...people in this county are so used to things not going anywhere, they feel like it's a lost cause to keep fighting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">