• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't contact my son.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ucalljoe

This is an IL case. My ex-wife moved to another location in IL and gave me the address so the support checks can still reach her. I've written numerous times to get the new phone number so I can talk to my son. This request is being ignored. I'm in AZ so its not like I can just stop in. We have joint custody and I am supposed to have a phone number. I also need to modify the visitation agreement we set forth. The plane ticket sent last summer was thrown in the garbage and my son was unable to spend some time with his father.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ucalljoe said:
This is an IL case. My ex-wife moved to another location in IL and gave me the address so the support checks can still reach her. I've written numerous times to get the new phone number so I can talk to my son. This request is being ignored. I'm in AZ so its not like I can just stop in. We have joint custody and I am supposed to have a phone number. I also need to modify the visitation agreement we set forth. The plane ticket sent last summer was thrown in the garbage and my son was unable to spend some time with his father.
My response:

Okay. Thanks for the story.

Did you have a SPECIFIC question, and not a generalized question ?

IAAL

U

ucalljoe

Can't contact my son

How do I get the phone number from my ex so I can talk to my son. How do I get the case back in mediation to revise the agreement. End of story

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Can't contact my son

ucalljoe said:
How do I get the phone number from my ex so I can talk to my son. How do I get the case back in mediation to revise the agreement. End of story
My response:

You file an Order to Show Cause Re: Contempt of Court in Illinois, along with a request for a change in physical custody of the child in the same court that rendered the original court orders. Obviously, you'll need to hire an Illinois attorney to accomplish this task.

Since she will undoubtedly be held in Contempt of court, she'll wind up having to pay your attorney's fees and court costs. She could also wind up in jail for the Contempt of the court's orders and, if the court deems her transgressions bad enough (i.e., a change in circumstances), could order physical custody of the child to you.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

U

ucalljoe

Thank You I will look into hiring an attorney in Cook Co. to handle this for me. I appreciate your time and advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ucalljoe said:
Thank You I will look into hiring an attorney in Cook Co. to handle this for me. I appreciate your time and advice.
My response:

You're entirely welcome.

Please, keep me posted on the events. I really hate it when one parent "plays hide and seek" with the love and affection between a parent and child.

Just remember, this is all about the child. So, if nothing else comes of this on the Order to Show Cause, it's really about you getting your main goal satisfied - - which is unobstructed contact with your child.

Good luck to you, my friend.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Please, keep me posted on the events. I really hate it when one parent "plays hide and seek" with the love and affection between a parent and child.

Just remember, this is all about the child. So, if nothing else comes of this on the Order to Show Cause, it's really about you getting your main goal satisfied - - which is unobstructed contact with your child.
I second that..

U

ucalljoe

You asked for an update on my problem of no contact with my son. I read the advice given to another client's question were she was having problems getting her ex to follow the judges orders in the divorce agreement. The advice was to send a letter stating that he was in direct violation of the judges order for providing life insurance for their daughter. Then state that he has 10 days to give a response and provide a blank piece of paper and a stamped envelope. Well I did this by using UPS next day air and received a call from my ex today. I think she found out that I meant business and she knows the judges in Chicago do not play games. I have the phone number and had a nice talk with my son today. Thank You again!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ucalljoe said:
You asked for an update on my problem of no contact with my son. I read the advice given to another client's question were she was having problems getting her ex to follow the judges orders in the divorce agreement. The advice was to send a letter stating that he was in direct violation of the judges order for providing life insurance for their daughter. Then state that he has 10 days to give a response and provide a blank piece of paper and a stamped envelope. Well I did this by using UPS next day air and received a call from my ex today. I think she found out that I meant business and she knows the judges in Chicago do not play games. I have the phone number and had a nice talk with my son today. Thank You again!!!
My response:

This is excellent news ! You're one step closer to your ultimate goal.

Thanks for the update.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">