• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case of betrayal - Can I seek damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isdvjnb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am an immigrant came from India. I came to this country with next to nothing. After staying with my relatives for first few months, I started to live on my own. At that time I had $1200 from the student loan and nothing else. I got this loan because I decided to go to college. I got full financial aid for college tuition and books. I also got employment at college. The loan amount I was able to save semester after semester and deposited in the bank. Whatever I made from employment took care of my rent and food. Approxiately I spent $250.00 a month that covered food and rent. I had no car. I feel that I am successful and I am proud of it. This happened around 1984.

My brother, his wife and their 3 children were in India. I filed a petition with the Immigration department and finally I was able to bring all of them over here. They all got green cards. They came to USA. I took care of them for many months. I put all of them in one bed room apartment, and bought groceries every other day. I paid for the rent and food for many months to come as no one had any skill to earn a decent living. I bought them an used car also. I was able to do this as I was still single. I wanted them to come to this country so that they will have a good living. They had practically nothing in their old country.

I got married and started my family. This was not tolerated by my brother and sister-in-law. They started to feel jealous that I was successful. Things started getting worse. They completely stopped talking to me. They don't even acknowldege that I was instrumental in helping them come to this country. Today they are all well off.

So we didn't talk to each other from last 15 years. I feel that I was cheated and betrayed. Except for few letters from my brother that documented that I broght them to this country and took care of them initially, I have no other documents. All three children are financially well off. Everyday I feel so sad that they did this to me. They were so ungrateful.

What are my options? Can I sue them for their betrayal and seek damages for having lost my peace of mind and mental torture? Please share your thoughts.

Regards

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am an immigrant came from India. I came to this country with next to nothing. After staying with my relatives for first few months, I started to live on my own. At that time I had $1200 from the student loan and nothing else. I got this loan because I decided to go to college. I got full financial aid for college tuition and books. I also got employment at college. The loan amount I was able to save semester after semester and deposited in the bank. Whatever I made from employment took care of my rent and food. Approxiately I spent $250.00 a month that covered food and rent. I had no car. I feel that I am successful and I am proud of it. This happened around 1984.

My brother, his wife and their 3 children were in India. I filed a petition with the Immigration department and finally I was able to bring all of them over here. They all got green cards. They came to USA. I took care of them for many months. I put all of them in one bed room apartment, and bought groceries every other day. I paid for the rent and food for many months to come as no one had any skill to earn a decent living. I bought them an used car also. I was able to do this as I was still single. I wanted them to come to this country so that they will have a good living. They had practically nothing in their old country.

I got married and started my family. This was not tolerated by my brother and sister-in-law. They started to feel jealous that I was successful. Things started getting worse. They completely stopped talking to me. They don't even acknowldege that I was instrumental in helping them come to this country. Today they are all well off.

So we didn't talk to each other from last 15 years. I feel that I was cheated and betrayed. Except for few letters from my brother that documented that I broght them to this country and took care of them initially, I have no other documents. All three children are financially well off. Everyday I feel so sad that they did this to me. They were so ungrateful.

What are my options? Can I sue them for their betrayal and seek damages for having lost my peace of mind and mental torture? Please share your thoughts.

Regards
No, you can't sue them for being ingrates.

isdvjnb

I want to add couple lines to my original posting.

At one point, my sister-in-law promised me that she will help me in whatever way she can including helping my kids if I help her then.

My brother also promised me that he will help me financially if I helped him then when he was in need.

So You are saying there is no, absolutely no hold that I seek some damages from them, for going thru all the misery and frustration?

Thanks

cyjeff

Every person that read your post said, "yeah, I wish" because we all have that relative.

And none of us have a case.

By the way, I have no idea why a breakdown of your collegiate budget from 12 years ago was a significant part of the story.

FarmerJ

Nothing you can do, unfortunately we do not get to choose our families BUT you can choose your friends and what who might become a new part of your life , sometimes it is ones friends who we really wish were our family. Let them go on about there own lifes knowing they are the way they are!

rosc

"So long and Thanks for all the fish"

Don't help people unless you're doing so freely and without expectation of return if you want it to reflect on your good karma, or, get it in writing if you expect to be repaid financially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">