• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cease & Desist Letter from Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadMominVA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Feb 2007 my daughter moved with her Army husband to WA state. For the 2.5 yrs prior to that, they had lived in our house for 10 mths, then lived nearby. For the 14 mths prior to the move to WA her husband was in Army training in TX. During that 14 mths we helped care for her house & yard, including trying to help her clean because she was suffering from either post-partum depression or some of other form of illness and wasn't cleaning her house, taking care of herself and was having trouble taking care of her 2 children. For the entire 2.5 yrs (and more before that) we provided free babysitting (it was a pleasure), had family dinners at least once a week, often had daughter & children visiting from breakfast to bedtime and often kept the boys overnight to give daughter a break.

In Mar 2007 our daughter cut off all contact with us and won't tell us why. She also won't tell anyone else in the family why she is doing this and has cut off contact with most of the rest of our family including her grandparents.

We've made repeated attempts to get our daughter to talk to us and to explain why they're doing this, and when all other recourses failed we contacted her husband's army unit for help. Everything was unsuccessful and we still don't know why. I'm sure it's unnecessary to say but we are totally heartbroken. Our daughter is my only child and we've spent enormous amounts of time with our grandchildren and adore them.

Two weeks ago we flew out to WA to try to get our daughter and son-in-law to face us and explain their actions. Apparently they found out our plans and took a month long vacation out of state that we didn't know about so we were unable to see them. When we couldn't get a hold of them we again contacted our son-in-law's army unit to find out if they could help.

Today we received a cease and desist letter from our daughter and son-in-law telling us that we could not attempt to contact them or our grandsons by any means.

Does this letter have any authority? If it does, why does it? We've just been trying to get our daughter to talk to us, to explain why she's doing this, and to try to work things out. In spite of her cruelty we love her very much and just want to understand.

Can someone help us?

SadMominVA

Yes, she is. According to her husband's unit he is not controlling her...though I'm not really sure how they can know that. Neither he nor she will explain their actions to the army personnel.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, she is. According to her husband's unit he is not controlling her...though I'm not really sure how they can know that. Neither he nor she will explain their actions to the army personnel.
You cannot force your daughter to do anything. We are not privy to your familial details. Back off and be patient.

ETA: Legally, she doesn't have to explain anything to you.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Neither he nor she will explain their actions to the army personnel.
They don't have to explain anything to Army personnel.

What they're doing sounds cold-hearted and cruel, but they have the right to cut off all contact with you and they are not obligated to explain why. The Army certainly has no right to interfere on your behalf.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but it's out of your control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">