• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change father's name on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenW1

Rhode Island

We tried a court order in Rhode Island, because we were told it had to be in our state of residence. So, should it be in the state she was born?

LdiJ

We tried a court order in Rhode Island, because we were told it had to be in our state of residence. So, should it be in the state she was born?
I am sorry, but you are giving us one sentence without giving us the story behind it. There is not enough information here to give you any advice.

JenW1

I live in RI, work in MA, I was at work, rushed to Boston hospital where my daughter was born. I was legally married to someone other than her father. Woman who handles birth certificates said its Massachusetts law that if married, husband's name has to go on birth certificate. We were given paperwork to have husband sign/notarized, but couldn't find him. He's now dead. We tried a court order in Rhode Island, because we were told it had to be in our state of residence. Judge said nothing he could do, find legal help.

Silverplum

I live in RI, work in MA, I was at work, rushed to Boston hospital where my daughter was born. I was legally married to someone other than her father. Woman who handles birth certificates said its Massachusetts law that if married, husband's name has to go on birth certificate. We were given paperwork to have husband sign/notarized, but couldn't find him. He's now dead. We tried a court order in Rhode Island, because we were told it had to be in our state of residence. Judge said nothing he could do, find legal help.
From here: http://www.cityofboston.gov/registry/faq.asp

Name Changes & Additions

What if I want to add the father’s name to a birth certificate, change/add a first name, or correct information on a Boston birth, marriage, or death certificate?

Please contact the Registry Depositions and Corrections Office at 617-635-4182 (Corrections open 9 AM to 3 PM weekdays, closed holidays Call for more information and/or to set up and appointment). They will be able to explain to you what information on a certificate can and cannot be changed. Since they are legal documents, corrections require identification, evidence, and fees. In some cases due to Massachusetts Laws, the Registry cannot make changes so you will be referred to the courts.

Then you will have to petition the court to prove paternity of the biological father: http://www.masslegalhelp.org/children-and-families/probate-and-family-court is the main site; from the link on the left, "Paternity for Unmarried Parents" is your particular problem: http://www.masslegalhelp.org/children-and-families/unmarried-parents-and-paternity.

Silverplum

JenW1, I've "seen" you returning to and reviewing your thread, a few times now.

Is there something else? Is something unclear?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">