• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change Married name to a different name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

South Carolina- my fiancé and are want to change our lastname to his family name when we marry. I have researched and can not figureout how this process works. Can anyone help us with this process?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
South Carolina- my fiancé and are want to change our lastname to his family name when we marry. I have researched and can not figureout how this process works. Can anyone help us with this process?
He changes his name before the wedding and you change your name to his new last name when you get married. :cool:

[email protected]

He was born with his family name. His mom changed his last name 4 years later when she married. The man did not adopt him. She just had it changed as if he was his dad. Which he is not. My fiance hasn't seen the guy since they split a year after marriage. The name we want is his mothers maiden name and the name he was originally given when he was born.
I've heard there is a way when you get married that both party's can change the lastname to a mutual lastname at the time of marriage. I feel this would work best for us but can't figure out how to do it.

[email protected]

He was born with his family name. His mom changed his last name 4 years later when she married. The man did not adopt him. She just had it changed as if he was his dad. Which he is not. My fiance hasn't seen the guy since they split a year after marriage. The name we want is his mothers maiden name and the name he was originally given when he was born.
I've heard there is a way when you get married that both party's can change the lastname to a mutual lastname at the time of marriage. I feel this would work best for us but can't figure out how to do it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
HOW did his mom change his name? in court? If so, then he needs to petition the court for a name change.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The man on his birth certificate is not his real father.
Then she committed fraud which is perjury and may be a felony. Your love has to go to court to change his name and if it happens before marriage, you can just change yours at the wedding. if after marriage, you both need to go to court.

[email protected]

So what I have been reading online is not true about families being able to choose a different name than they already have and changing it to said name when they get married?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So what I have been reading online is not true about families being able to choose a different name than they already have and changing it to said name when they get married?
Some states have that kind of law, others do not. South Carolina law/statutes do not appear to support your thesis. Of course, you can always ask an attorney in South Carolina. :cool:

ecmst12

Yes it depends on the state. In my state my hubby and I were both able to change our names after marriage without any issue and without going to court. But you probably don't want to move to PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">