• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing childs last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krissyb

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am wondering if it is possible to change my childs last name to my married name, their is no father named on her bc, and she has my maiden name. Does changing her last name give him any rights to her if we should divorce? Anyway any advice on how to go about changing her last name would be appreciated.
Thanks

LdiJ

krissyb said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am wondering if it is possible to change my childs last name to my married name, their is no father named on her bc, and she has my maiden name. Does changing her last name give him any rights to her if we should divorce? Anyway any advice on how to go about changing her last name would be appreciated.
Thanks
Is her biological father in the picture at all?...has he been determined to be the legal father via DNA testing...are there any court orders, even just child support? How old is the child?

All in all, its probably not a particularly good idea. It wouldn't give your husband any legal rights to her, but if you are already thinking of the "what if" if you happen to divorce, then you ought to be thinking about the confusion it would cause a child to be playing musical chairs with her last name.

If you want "family identity" and dad isn't in the picture at all, then just informally hyphenate her last name with your married name.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
Is her biological father in the picture at all?...has he been determined to be the legal father via DNA testing...are there any court orders, even just child support? How old is the child?

All in all, its probably not a particularly good idea. It wouldn't give your husband any legal rights to her, but if you are already thinking of the "what if" if you happen to divorce, then you ought to be thinking about the confusion it would cause a child to be playing musical chairs with her last name.

If you want "family identity" and dad isn't in the picture at all, then just informally hyphenate her last name with your married name.
Or have the new hubby change HIS name. It's not all that uncommon any more.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
Or have the new hubby change HIS name. It's not all that uncommon any more.
That is certainly a creative solution.....LOL...have the adults change their last name to match the child's. That doesn't require anyone's permission other than the adults involved.

Unfortunately, that solution could cause all kinds of credit issues and other complications...and believe it or not....RETIREMENT issues. Its not fair, but a man who retires and whose legal name doesn't match his birth name has a hassle in arranging his SS benefits.....a woman doesn't have to deal with quite that same hassle.

C

CALIFORNIAKID

changing a child's name will not give op legal rights

the only way your husband will have legal rights to your daughter is by legally adopting her.too many cp think that changing thier child's name to their spouses or so's name will give that person legal rights to the child, when in fact it will not. only an adoption will do that

Shay-Pari'e

CALIFORNIAKID said:
the only way your husband will have legal rights to your daughter is by legally adopting her.too many cp think that changing thier child's name to their spouses or so's name will give that person legal rights to the child, when in fact it will not. only an adoption will do that

Say Goodbye AGAIN Kelly. Back in Cali so soon? WOW! Your broom is fast.

ceara19

Shay-Pari'e said:
Say Goodbye AGAIN Kelly. Back in Cali so soon? WOW! Your broom is fast.
Didn't she already use this name before??? Is it possible that she's been through so many names that she had to start over again?

Shay-Pari'e

ceara19 said:
Didn't she already use this name before??? Is it possible that she's been through so many names that she had to start over again?

Didn't you know? She has sticky notes all over her 3 foot high fridge with all her screen names and passwords.

All the names outed are crumbled up in a stack on a lawn chair that sits in front of her 13 inch tv that is being propped up on concrete blocks, that she stole from her neighbors yard.
;)

Just Blue

ceara19 said:

Probably...she has started recycling stories too....:rolleyes:

weenor

Shay-Pari'e said:
ceara19 said:
Didn't you know? She has sticky notes all over her 3 foot high fridge with all her screen names and passwords.

All the names outed are crumbled up in a stack on a lawn chair that sits in front of her 13 inch tv that is being propped up on concrete blocks, that she stole from her neighbors yard.
;)
Thanks for the picture:eek:

E

eme76

omg!

i think i found yet another kelly
http://www.gangstatrash.com/aboutme.html

edit to add-- it is this part of the profile that made me think kelly "(The people at LiveJournal hate me cuz I've had over fifty accounts terminated for not obeying the TOS. 'Cept I keep coming back like a roach with my AOL accounts and proxies.) "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">