• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing a child's surname

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jntasm

I currently live in the state of Texas and my son was born in Washington DC. He is 6 years old and the people from the vital records office contact me today to say that I could not change his name using the documents they gave me. That I would need to get married or petition the courts. What courts would I have to petition, the ones in Texas or the ones in Washington DC? She stated that since my child was over 6 years old that I could not change his name to his fathers, even though his father filled out his forms as well. I never knew there was an age limit to changing children's names, when they send you the forms. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">