• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing grooms last name during marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjj1988

My fiance wants to change his last name to his dads last name before we get married because he wants me to take his last name with him. I read online that some people have changed their first middle and or last names by signing a different name on their marriage license. I was wondering if this would be possible in Tennessee? I do not know what a marriage license looks like, so i don't know if its possible.

I read this on a website: "Basically, the form has blanks for your current first, middle, and last names, and then it has blanks for your new first, middle, and last names. You can go in as John Edward Smith and Mary Ellen Jones and leave as Ethan Jonas Johnson and Isabelle Marie Richards, if that's what you want!"

Im from Hawkins County, Rogersville, Tennessee. Is this do-able? My fiance's mother was married to someone else when he was born so her current husband was placed as father on the birth certificate. Both passed away when he was very little, his sister raised him, and his biological father is thrilled about him wanting to change his last name. His family always told him growing up that he needed to correct his last name to his dads. His biological father has always been in his life, but they weren't close until a year or so ago.

Its $197.50 and a court date in my town for a name change, so we were hoping to bypass that.

LdiJ

My fiance wants to change his last name to his dads last name before we get married because he wants me to take his last name with him. I read online that some people have changed their first middle and or last names by signing a different name on their marriage license. I was wondering if this would be possible in Tennessee? I do not know what a marriage license looks like, so i don't know if its possible.

I read this on a website: "Basically, the form has blanks for your current first, middle, and last names, and then it has blanks for your new first, middle, and last names. You can go in as John Edward Smith and Mary Ellen Jones and leave as Ethan Jonas Johnson and Isabelle Marie Richards, if that's what you want!"

Im from Hawkins County, Rogersville, Tennessee. Is this do-able? My fiance's mother was married to someone else when he was born so her current husband was placed as father on the birth certificate. Both passed away when he was very little, his sister raised him, and his biological father is thrilled about him wanting to change his last name. His family always told him growing up that he needed to correct his last name to his dads. His biological father has always been in his life, but they weren't close until a year or so ago.

Its $197.50 and a court date in my town for a name change, so we were hoping to bypass that.
I would be checking with a live person at the agency that handles marriage licenses in your area.

FlyingRon

He'll need to change his name first and then either or both of you could use your marriage license to adopt either surname or a combination of the two.

jjj1988

Going to court is what I said that costs 197.50 and we are trying to avoid that. A marriage license is going to be 100 itself, but $300 for both is too much. And our wedding is in a month, court date wouldn't be until November.

My question was is this possible with a tennessee marriage November, not should we just go to court and do it.

Does it have a place for the bride and grooms NEW names on it, or does it just ask for the names once? In other states, people do this. But the closest is 1 day and 6 hours away so we want to know about here.

FlyingRon

I told you the answer, and just repeating the question isn't going to change it.

The names on your license have to be your CURRENT LEGAL NAMES. You can't just change it there.
The executed license (your marriage certificate) can be used to change your surname to one of the variants of your surnames.

You can't however used the marriage certificate to invent a new unrelated name. Sorry.

LdiJ

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the advice that you have received here so far. However, I will repeat. If this is REALLY important to you, you will get off the internet and ask the people who are actually in charge of that stuff in your county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">