• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing a minor's last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sauerca

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

My son's father and I were not and are not now married. His father did live with us when he was born and until he was 6 months old. He then got in trouble with the law in Iowa and was arrested on drug charges. When he was let out of jail on bond, he left the state. He was eventually arrested in Colorado on different drug charges there and spent 1 year in prison. He is currently in a half-way house in Colorado and still wanted on drug charges in Iowa although the State of Iowa will not extradite him. When my son was born he was given his father's last name. I wish to change his last name to mine, which is also the last name of his older sister. Do I have to get permission from his father to do so? What are the legal implications if I just start calling him by my last name. He is only 2 years old and right now does not know his last name. I would like to get this change if it is possible before he realizes his name if different from mine and his sisters and the rest of his extended family's.

sauerca said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

My son's father and I were not and are not now married. His father did live with us when he was born and until he was 6 months old. He then got in trouble with the law in Iowa and was arrested on drug charges. When he was let out of jail on bond, he left the state. He was eventually arrested in Colorado on different drug charges there and spent 1 year in prison. He is currently in a half-way house in Colorado and still wanted on drug charges in Iowa although the State of Iowa will not extradite him. When my son was born he was given his father's last name. I wish to change his last name to mine, which is also the last name of his older sister. Do I have to get permission from his father to do so? What are the legal implications if I just start calling him by my last name. He is only 2 years old and right now does not know his last name. I would like to get this change if it is possible before he realizes his name if different from mine and his sisters and the rest of his extended family's.
You could try to do just a normal name change and explain that for medical and financial reasons and due to the fact the the babys bio dad hasnt been around at all would be good reason for a name change however in some states it can be pretty spendy. Also when you change the name of a minor both parents must consent to it. I would contact a local family law lawyer and ask for a free consultation and ask what or where to go to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">