• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing my sons birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrissy_shelton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California is where it happened, but we live in Minnesota now.

Well, here's a background story. This all happened in 2003.
My father was abusive to me (alcohol), and I ran away from home when I was 16, and I was pregnant. I was scared of what he might do to me when he found out, so I left home.
The guy I left with, was an immigrant from Peru, and we left to California where his family was. And they were all "illigal immigrants" in the process of getting their sister across the border, who was also pregnant.
Being pregnant, I needed prenatal care, but i was scared to death of using my name in fear of being found. (Now, I was 16, and didnt know that it was highly unlikely that i'd be found, and I didnt know ANYTHING about emancipation -at all-)
The immigrants, were also scared of if i was caught, they would be sent back to Peru, so the immigrants I lived with in California, bought me a fake birth certificate from Peru, with a fake name that I used for the entire pregnancy.

The problem is, I signed all the insurance papers, and, worst of all, I signed the birth certificate of my son under this false mothers name. So it's not MY name.

Me and the babys father are no longer together (Imagine that), and I was screwed. I can't get healthcare for my son, and Im having a hard time getting him into school.

I've already gone to my attorney to get the mothers name changed on the birth certificate, and my attorney sent some documents to the babys father, agreeing that all this was true, and he signed it and mailed it back to my attorney, and then I signed the papers. He sent them to court, and we now have a court date, to change the name.

This is 5 years later, I live in Minnesota now for a year and a half, I'm now engaged, and 5 months pregnant. When I go to court here in 4 weeks (the dates already set), Whats going to happen?
I was told by a friend that it isnt criminal court, its just to go change the name. Is there a possibility of any punishments, such as a fine, probation or jailtime for using this false name? Or is the judge just going to say yes or no, to this petition?
This is the "hearing", does that mean that there will be more than one time to go to court for this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">