• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing name back to maiden name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FitzE1

In Tennessee, do I have to go to court to legally change my name back to my maiden name? I have been divorced since 1987, but my children are grown now and I want to take back my name. How do I start? Can I just get a new driver's license and Social Security card back in my maiden name and then notify all the affected parties? Or do I HAVE to go to court first?

LegalBeagle

FitzE1 said:
In Tennessee, do I have to go to court to legally change my name back to my maiden name? I have been divorced since 1987, but my children are grown now and I want to take back my name. How do I start? Can I just get a new driver's license and Social Security card back in my maiden name and then notify all the affected parties? Or do I HAVE to go to court first?
Go to the local book store and look in the 'How to' section. There are books out there to guide you through the process. and yes, it has to be done legally and through legal papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">