• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing your name after marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masterkel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was married this year and kept my maiden name until my husband completes his name change to take his step-fathers last name. I have been told I can NOT change my name without a 'Petition to change name' by a Judge a my local courthouse due to the fact that the last name on our marriage certificate is going to be his previous last name.
I want to do this as seamless as possible and as inexpensive as well.
It means a great deal to his family that we carry on his step-fathers last name and we have been waiting to file in court for 9 mths of going back and forth as to what is right and what is wrong. He used Legalzoom.com but I need to know if we need to do a Family name change for the two of us (no kids) or if once his name has been legally changed, it will suffice for me to go ahead and assume his CURRENT last name although it is different from our marriage license. I need to know if this can even be done without having to go through the "hoops" he has to go through for his name change. If I'm married to a man and he changes his last name, should'nt I be able to take the New last name seeing that his new legal name is now different? This is what I can't get an answer to, and its quite frustrating.
Please help me determine the best way to get this name change done.

Last edited:

xylene

You and husband probably need to consult a real lawyer to assist you in changing your names as easily as possible.

Unfortunately you and husband will not be able to circumvent going before a court for a name change petition.

Your motives are sound and so long as his step fathers name is not something like "The King Of All Domains" or "Q@347B" you should find this pretty easy and painless.

justalayman

apparently you can file it under one petition but you will have to provide exactly the same info about you as you r husband does about him.

Florida Name Change Forms and Name Change Law

if he has already filed his petition, I would think it would just be easier to file a seperate one for you.

go to this site and scroll down to 12.982 (most of the way down. There are forms for filing to change name.

Court Programs

Unless there is a problem with the items noted in the law I linked, I do not see why an attorney would be needed.

masterkel

Correct

I ASSumed he has already started the process. Might be "my mistake"...
He has already started the legal name change process. We have spent several hundred dollars to do so, but another "Document Preparer" told us we could save money for filing costs by filing together as a family. But they too want a couple hundred dollars to file joint vs. seperate. I was hoping he could change his last name and then I could chnge mine to his new last name with no problems, but I may be completely off track...
I appreciate everyone's advise.

masterkel

One more question..

They are already married.

The change of name process is GENERALLY pretty painless in nearly every state.
Is it as "painless" as a woman simply changing her maiden name to her husbands last name? :D I'm sure it is more complex than that, but just need to be sure.

seniorjudge

Is it as "painless" as a woman simply changing her maiden name to her husbands last name? :D I'm sure it is more complex than that, but just need to be sure.
There are procedures in every state to change names.

Both y'all have to go through the same procedures.

Some states allow you to do this pro se.

Research your state bar's or your supreme court's website for more info.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What this comes down to is our OP wants hubby's name...but doesn't want to shell out a couple of hundred dollars.

masterkel

Not in today's economy!

What this comes down to is our OP wants hubby's name...but doesn't want to shell out a couple of hundred dollars.
You're absolutely correct that I do NOT want to shell out [I]another couple hundered dollars when I already have. This money is only for processing of paperwork, it does not include the additional $600 I must pay per person to file it on the Courts!
I don't know about you, but I don't have a money tree in the back of my home.
This is the reason why I asked the question in the 1st palce as to what is the most seamless way to do this. Seamless and inexpensive is my ultimate goal.

masterkel

Thank you

apparently you can file it under one petition but you will have to provide exactly the same info about you as you r husband does about him.

Florida Name Change Forms and Name Change Law

if he has already filed his petition, I would think it would just be easier to file a seperate one for you.

go to this site and scroll down to 12.982 (most of the way down. There are forms for filing to change name.

Court Programs

Unless there is a problem with the items noted in the law I linked, I do not see why an attorney would be needed.
Your information has been helpful and I appreciate you guiding me in the right direction instead of passing judgment on me.
Have a wonderful day!

seniorjudge

You're absolutely correct that I do NOT want to shell out [I]another couple hundered dollars when I already have. This money is only for processing of paperwork, it does not include the additional $600 I must pay per person to file it on the Courts!
I don't know about you, but I don't have a money tree in the back of my home.
This is the reason why I asked the question in the 1st palce as to what is the most seamless way to do this. Seamless and inexpensive is my ultimate goal.
The Florida Supreme Court Clerk's Office

The filing fee for a case in the Supreme Court of Florida is $300.

Are you sure that the filing fee for a change of name is $300?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">