• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child abandonment and punishment..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rivo6

Hi,
As we speak, my wife is in county-jail(Hidalgo, Texas) on 2 counts of child abandonment & endangerment.She left my son and daughter alone in her apt at 4am to give someone a ride home and my son wandered outside alone.This isnt the 1st time this has happened either, my son wandered outside while she was sleeping one evening and cps nearly took our children.She's not a bad mother,she's just stupid..and this would be her 1st felony offense.My question is, what can she do after I post her bail to help her NOT get sentenced to PRISON?Is it possible she could get probation and counceling?I would really like to know what to expect here, afterall the kids DO need their mother.Thank you.

Just Blue

Hi,
As we speak, my wife is in county-jail(Hidalgo, Texas) on 2 counts of child abandonment & endangerment.She left my son and daughter alone in her apt at 4am to give someone a ride home and my son wandered outside alone.This isnt the 1st time this has happened either, my son wandered outside while she was sleeping one evening and cps nearly took our children.She's not a bad mother,she's just stupid..and this would be her 1st felony offense.My question is, what can she do after I post her bail to help her NOT get sentenced to PRISON?Is it possible she could get probation and counceling?I would really like to know what to expect here, afterall the kids DO need their mother.Thank you.
If I were you I would not bail her out, or help her in any way. I would file for divorce, sole custody of the children and only supervised visitation. This woman didn't learn the first time. Why do you think this "stupid" person will learn this time? Are you going to wait for one, or both of your children, to die due to her negligence before dealing with this issue??

Antigone*

This "stupidity" could have gotten your children killed. I would be very afraid of leaving the children alone with her ever again.

rivo6

This "stupidity" could have gotten your children killed. I would be very afraid of leaving the children alone with her ever again.
Yes, I absolutely agree. It was a disgusting mistake, but not an unforgiveable one. She really does love our children, and vise-versa. I spoke with her earlier today and she sounded TERRIFIED in jail,I think she understands the severity of whats happening.What's needed now is to make sure my son & daughter still have a mommy when this whole thing is over..

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What's needed now is to make sure my son & daughter still have a mommy when this whole thing is over.
As far are CPS is concerned, what's needed now is to make sure your children have someone who is willing and able to keep them safe. Being in jail terrifies her, but the first time she put her children in danger didn't terrify her enough to ensure it didn't happen again? What, exactly, would be unforgiveable? If it happened a third time? A fourth? If your children are killed or kidnapped?

They're not just looking at her. They're looking at you, too. She got a second chance and she blew it. You are enabling that behavior.

You need a much better defense than "She's really sorry and being in jail is scary."

rivo6

As far are CPS is concerned, what's needed now is to make sure your children have someone who is willing and able to keep them safe. Being in jail terrifies her, but the first time she put her children in danger didn't terrify her enough to ensure it didn't happen again? What, exactly, would be unforgiveable? If it happened a third time? A fourth? If your children are killed or kidnapped?

They're not just looking at her. They're looking at you, too. She got a second chance and she blew it. You are enabling that behavior.

You need a much better defense than "She's really sorry and being in jail is scary."
I know I KNOW, like I said-DISGUSTING.But how do I explain to my 5 yo son and 2 yo daughter that they cant see their mom(who they keep asking for over and over..)because 'daddy doesnt want to enable mommy's irresponsible behavior'?Is it wrong to want to keep a family together?or to ensure my children's psyche's arent further warped by putting them through a system that will disect and practicaly dehumanize the relationship with their mother?will it EVER be ok to attempt to move towards being a happy family again??..again I ask:what can I do to help make sure my kids still have a Mom after this is over?

Antigone*

YOU need to cooperate with CPS so that you don't lose your kids. Your wife is going to have a very long road ahead of her. In addition to the criminal charges she is facing she will be facing several months maybe even a couple of years of CPS involvement.

Get her an attorney.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Hi,
Why is your son up at 4am? Why aren't you pushing for sole custody? and if this is her 1st FELONY offense.... are there misdermeanor offenses to speak of?
Is there a chance at reconcilliation between the two of you?

Gracie3787

Why is your son up at 4am? ......
Is there a chance at reconcilliation between the two of you?
This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen in awhile.

Didn't you read the OP's posts?

Mom LEFT THE CHILDREN ALONE at 4AM.
The children could have been in bed, the 5 yr old could have woken up, gotten scared and when he couldn't find his Mommy in the house, he naturally went looking for her outside.

Where did you get the idea that the OP and his wife are seperated? (except by her being in jail)?

Proserpina

This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen in awhile.

Didn't you read the OP's posts?

Mom LEFT THE CHILDREN ALONE at 4AM.
The children could have been in bed, the 5 yr old could have woken up, gotten scared and when he couldn't find his Mommy in the house, he naturally went looking for her outside.

Where did you get the idea that the OP and his wife are seperated? (except by her being in jail)?
In all fairness, this can be interpreted as Dad and Mom not living together...

As we speak, my wife is in county-jail(Hidalgo, Texas) on 2 counts of child abandonment & endangerment.She left my son and daughter alone in her apt at 4am to give someone a ride home and my son wandered outside alone.

RRevak

If I were you I would not bail her out, or help her in any way. I would file for divorce, sole custody of the children and only supervised visitation. This woman didn't learn the first time. Why do you think this "stupid" person will learn this time? Are you going to wait for one, or both of your children, to die due to her negligence before dealing with this issue??
I AGREE!! For pete's sake, if my lil' bits father EVER did anything like that he would be scalped and burned at the stake...and that would be BEFORE the law got their crack at him. Dude if you think that it would scar your children to not have their mom with them for a while then how much do you think it would scar them if mom allowed something terrible to happen to them? Something like being kidnapped...or worse? I understand your fear about your children feeling psychological ramifications from losing mom for a while but you really need to let that go in their best interests with this one. Mom needs to have some SERIOUS time to learn the error of her ways and realize that she cant do the stupid things she does with her own children. Is there a way for her to avoid a decent amount of jail time? Maybe but honestly i'm not seeing it here. You need to now take your children and love them as much as you can to make up for the time mom is going to be gone. If they ask where she is then explain something to them like "mommy is getting some help right now because sometimes mommy's dont make good decisions and she's learning how to make better ones." Dont mention jail or CPS. Just tell them that CPS are just some friends that are there to check on them and make sure they are happy and taken care of. They are young enough that this will pass. Your time to fix your wife has obviously passed, now its time to focus on your children and let mom get the help (and punishment) she obviously needs.

AHA

Yes, I absolutely agree. It was a disgusting mistake, but not an unforgiveable one. She really does love our children, and vise-versa. I spoke with her earlier today and she sounded TERRIFIED in jail,I think she understands the severity of whats happening.What's needed now is to make sure my son & daughter still have a mommy when this whole thing is over..
I would disagree, but then again, my kids are number 1 all the way for me, I understand some parents don't feel that way about their own kids.

AHA

I know I KNOW, like I said-DISGUSTING.But how do I explain to my 5 yo son and 2 yo daughter that they cant see their mom(who they keep asking for over and over..)because 'daddy doesnt want to enable mommy's irresponsible behavior'?Is it wrong to want to keep a family together?or to ensure my children's psyche's arent further warped by putting them through a system that will disect and practicaly dehumanize the relationship with their mother?will it EVER be ok to attempt to move towards being a happy family again??..again I ask:what can I do to help make sure my kids still have a Mom after this is over?
Who said you have to tell them that (not that they would understand those words anyway at their ages)? Is it better to put them in danger than to say mommy had to go away for a while, but she will come back? You should take a parenting class to get your priorities straight.

mommyof4

afterall the kids DO need their mother.Thank you.
Gee, it would have been a bonus if Mom had recognized this fact before abandoning her kids and neglecting them to drive a friend home at 4 in the freaking morning.

In my very humble, personal opinion...your wife doesn't deserve any help or any leniency. NONE.

The kids need a mother, indeed.:rolleyes: With a mother like that (and, apparently, a father that is more worried about this woman's discomfort and embarassment over being in jail), your kids need an army of protectors to keep them safe from their mother's actions and lack of care.

What? She couldn't just tell the friend to sleep on the couch until morning?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Gee, it would have been a bonus if Mom had recognized this fact before abandoning her kids and neglecting them to drive a friend home at 4 in the freaking morning.

In my very humble, personal opinion...your wife doesn't deserve any help or any leniency. NONE.

The kids need a mother, indeed.:rolleyes: With a mother like that (and, apparently, a father that is more worried about this woman's discomfort and embarassment over being in jail), your kids need an army of protectors to keep them safe from their mother's actions and lack of care.

What? She couldn't just tell the friend to sleep on the couch until morning?
Wholeheartedly seconded.

Utterly and completely.

I also believe that had this been Mom writing telling us about Dad's mistake....Mom would be actively trying to ensure that Dad be hung, drawn and quartered without further ado (at least in the metaphorical sense).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">