• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wushu151

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I need to know if this is child abuse, I am not quite sure if it is or not. I have a friend who is 15 years old. Her older brother is 19 years old, the brother harasses her by calling her the worst of names everyday I mean cursing at her, and he beats her and leaves marks. Well her mom does nothing about it except say that hitting is wrong. Her mom even saw her eye which was bleeding and was bruised and she told her to say something else. In other words lie about what happened. Her mom yells at her constantly for no reason at all and she is placed under a lot of stress and depression. She has even threaten to kill herself more then once. She now thinks she has a mental illness and that she needs to go to the hospital and get help. Her mom still screams at her and her brother still harasses her with foul mouth and beats her, though not frequent, but when he does it is bad. She even took pictures of her bruises and her mom saw them and said that she was sick in the head. So I really would like to help her but she doesn't believe its child abuse and she is afraid to do something to herself if it keeps going on. So please, help me with this. Is it child abuse? Or does she need to find help? :confused:

wushu151

sorry, before I accidentally wrote that in a different thread. So I pasted it where it needs to go. But I didn't ask the question to here about the spam. This is very serious to me as you can tell. I need to know the answer. So if anyone has the answer then please bring that up and not what I am spamming. Thank you, I would appreciate it.

wushu151

I suggest you call the police...
thanks, but I already tried convincing her to do that. She rufuses to believe that what is happening isn't child abuse. There is nothing I can do about it. Its her decision and I am not in the spot to be forcing her.

Nativity

So you believe your friend is being abused and instead of you yourself calling the police or someone who may be able to help her, you're just going to let her deal with it on her own?

Nice!

Gracie3787

thanks, but I already tried convincing her to do that. She rufuses to believe that what is happening isn't child abuse. There is nothing I can do about it. Its her decision and I am not in the spot to be forcing her.
You are wrong. It is NOT her decision. Anyone who knows of the abuse and does NOT report it to the police or DCF is as guilty as the abuser.

Be a true friend, and the next time you see that she has been hurt, YOU call the police or DCF. You do NOT have to have her permission, nor do you even have to tell her that you are the person who called. The names of persons reporting abuse are kept confidential by law.

cyjeff

Wake up call.

If you aren't willing to call the police or child protective services, what do you think we would be able to tell you to do?

We don't know magic words that make abuse stop... well, other than "what is that police car doing in the driveway?"

Having said that...

Your friend is in no position to self diagnose her own mental illness. She does not have the training or education to do that. Neither do you.

If you think she is suicidal, call the police.

I have 5 brothers and a sister... I thought my skin color was "bruise" until I left home. fighting among siblings is hardly unusual. And it can get pretty heated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">