• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chantal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Atanta, GA.
My husband and I are separated and he doesn't live in the US anymore. Does he have the right to take our 2 year old son without my consent and bring him back to where he lives?

Gracie3787

My husband and I are separated and he doesn't live in the US anymore. Does he have the right to take our 2 year old son without my consent and bring him back to where he lives?
Does your son already have a passport?
If he does, yes your husband can take his child out of the country without your permission.

You need to file in court for a custody order ASAP.

Proserpina

Does your son already have a passport?
If he does, yes your husband can take his child out of the country without your permission.

You need to file in court for a custody order ASAP.
And if kiddo does have a passport and OP doesn't have it in her possession she may want to ask the court to order Dad to surrender the passport - at least until custody is decided.

With that said if kiddo has - or would meet the criteria for - a non-US passport there's very little preventing Dad from taking kiddo with him out of the US.

The quick answer though would be: Dad has as much right to his child as you.

Just Blue

Unless there is a court order preventing this...then yes he does have the right.

You can have a flag placed on your childs passport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">