• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A child i cared th onot my child was taken away can anyone help me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mom23

I took care of a friend's 13 year old for a year, the child was very happy and healthy while in my "custody". The mother then turned on me and the child went home to the mother. The child got into trouble with the law and children services stepped in to help the child and mother out with their relationship. Being as though the mother was a drug addict...cys took the child from the mother, and gave her to me for 2 weeks and then took her from me. Under the grounds that I am 23years old, and on an anxiety pills of half the dosage usually perscribed. The mother has only parental rights now but the mother's sister (they are not close at all) has custody. The child does b\not want to live with the Aunt but instead with me. Since the Aunt would not allow us to have contact the child got into trouble and the aunt had her taken to a mental facility. Now that the child is close to being released and has requested residing with me and visitation with the aunt on the weekends, cys says NO. What can I do? can anyone help please?

A

ARCHON3

It is possible for you to get custody

According to this very website, under the Family Law heading, you will find your answer. I just found it today, b/c I may be in the same sort of situation, if my ex-girlfriend refuses me visitation rights with her son. The exact question from this website is this:CAN NONBIOLOGICAL PARENTS BE AWARDED CUSTODY? The answer is this:"Courts in the past have usually awarded custody to someone other than the biological or natural parents in cases of abandonment or chronic abuse. This has begun to change in recent years. Judges are awarding custody to anyone with an interest in the child(e.g., stepparents, godparents, aunts, uncles, surrogates) who can introduce evidence as to why they would be the better custodians than the natural parent(s). Again, the court's guiding principle will be the welfare of the child."

Hope that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">