• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child leaving Home (Texas)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zero43

Texas
At what age and for what reasons can a child leave home?
And are there any loopholes to to this law to make it easier or sooner

Z

zero43

If you don't know anything you don't need to reply.
I got my answer from someone who does have half a brain and who has more to do than just make ignorant reply's
Fyi 17 is the age at which you can leave home 16 under certain circumstances.

JETX

And FYI, if you leave home in Texas at 17, your parents (or legal guardians) can report you to the police and if found, they will haul your ass back home... unless you have gotten a court ordered emancipation.

The LEGAL age that you can 'leave home' without their permission is 18!!

So, quit being a smart-ass and learn from those that are more knowledgeable than you are!!

snostar

zero43 said:
If you don't know anything you don't need to reply.
I got my answer from someone who does have half a brain and who has more to do than just make ignorant reply's
Fyi 17 is the age at which you can leave home 16 under certain circumstances.
So, lets see you produce this so called law.

I guess that means you have LESS than half a brain.

Z

zero43

easier said than done.
Hope you know how to read. If the language is too complex for you I'll translate for you.
FAMILY CODE

TITLE 2. CHILD IN RELATION TO THE FAMILY

SUBTITLE A. LIMITATIONS OF MINORITY

CHAPTER 31. REMOVAL OF DISABILITIES OF MINORITY

§ 31.001. REQUIREMENTS. (a) A minor may petition to
have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general
purposes if the minor is:
(1) a resident of this state;
(2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and
living separate and apart from the minor's parents, managing
conservator, or guardian; and
(3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own
financial affairs.
(b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor's
own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend.

Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, § 1, eff. April 20,

§ 31.002. REQUISITES OF PETITION;
VERIFICATION. (a) The petition for removal of disabilities of
minority must state:
(1) the name, age, and place of residence of the
petitioner;
(2) the name and place of residence of each living
parent;
(3) the name and place of residence of the guardian of
the person and the guardian of the estate, if any;
(4) the name and place of residence of the managing
conservator, if any;
(5) the reasons why removal would be in the best
interest of the minor; and
(6) the purposes for which removal is requested.
(b) A parent of the petitioner must verify the petition,
except that if a managing conservator or guardian of the person has
been appointed, the petition must be verified by that person. If
the person who is to verify the petition is unavailable or that
person's whereabouts are unknown, the guardian ad litem shall
verify the petition.

§ 31.003. VENUE. The petitioner shall file the petition
in the county in which the petitioner resides.

§ 31.004. GUARDIAN AD LITEM. The court shall appoint a
guardian ad litem to represent the interest of the petitioner at the
hearing.

§ 31.005. ORDER. The court by order, or the Texas
Supreme Court by rule or order, may remove the disabilities of
minority of a minor, including any restriction imposed by Chapter
32, if the court or the Texas Supreme Court finds the removal to be
in the best interest of the petitioner. The order or rule must
state the limited or general purposes for which disabilities are
removed.

1995; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1303, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

§ 31.006. EFFECT OF GENERAL REMOVAL. Except for
specific constitutional and statutory age requirements, a minor
whose disabilities are removed for general purposes has the
capacity of an adult, including the capacity to contract. Except as
provided by federal law, all educational rights accorded to the
parent of a student, including the right to make education
decisions under Section 151.003(a)(10), transfer to the minor whose
disabilities are removed for general purposes.

1995; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 767, § 9, eff. June 13, 2001.

§ 31.007. REGISTRATION OF ORDER OF ANOTHER STATE OR
NATION. (a) A nonresident minor who has had the disabilities of
minority removed in the state of the minor's residence may file a
certified copy of the order removing disabilities in the deed
records of any county in this state.
(b) When a certified copy of the order of a court of another
state or nation is filed, the minor has the capacity of an adult,
except as provided by Section 31.006 and by the terms of the order.

And in case you don't believe that that's the actual law here's the site.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fatoc.html
You should really find something better to do... Doesn't anyone moderate these forums people come here for help yet they find *******s like you.
And my local police dept. says they can't do anything about it. And JETX you if the laqw says you can leave at 17 doe that mean the legal age is 17?
YOu don't need your prarents persmission. They don't even have to know about under certain circumstances.
And I did learn from someone more knowledgable than. Unfortunatley it wasn't you. Maybe you should take your own advice. I think that's be a good idea what about you. But then you don't think before you speak so I guess that's kinda hard

P

Pfaffing85690

Guess what dumbass, you just quoted the emancipation statute.

Now, remember this?

And FYI, if you leave home in Texas at 17, your parents (or legal guardians) can report you to the police and if found, they will haul your ass back home... unless you have gotten a court ordered emancipation.
No court is going to grant you emancipation if you bring the same attitude into chambers. Unless you are asking them to change your diapers.

Edited portion: And we hear that all the time, "I asked the police department and they said they wouldn't do anything."

Well, guess what. IF you do not get emancipated and if you decide to leave home and IF your parents decide to file a police report, they better damn well do something or they will be open to civil litigation. So unless you want to come back here and leave the name of the office and the phone number to the station so we can verify what you "Claim" they told you, drop the attitude.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, there is a bit of a difference between becoming emancipated and being legally of age to leave home. One requires a judge; the other requires you to turn 18.

JETX

'Zero', it is clear from your posts where you got your 'name' for this forum. It must have come from all your grades in school.

All you did was repeat the Texas statute as to emancipation process. It does NOT apply to your original question ("At what age and for what reasons can a child leave home?").

Let me re-state my earlier post so that hopefully you will understand.....
You cannot leave home in Texas without your parents or guardians permission until you are 18 years old, or are legally emancipated (by a court). If you do, you are subject to arrest and return by the police.

And yes, you COULD go through the legal process of attempting to get a court ordered emancipation, but it is expensive and its success would hinge on the specific facts of the matter. The court will not grant the motion simply because you claim your parents are mean or don't understand or don't let you do what you want.

"And my local police dept. says they can't do anything about it."
*** About what??? If you are trying to say that they won't pursue an emancipated minor, you are correct. If you are saying that they won't take a complaint on a runaway, you are either confused or lying.

"And JETX you if the laqw says you can leave at 17 doe that mean the legal age is 17?"
*** No. See above.

"YOu don't need your prarents persmission. They don't even have to know about under certain circumstances."
*** And where did you get that from?? The statute that YOU provided says that YOU, the petitioner, are REQUIRED to provide:
"(2) the name and place of residence of each living parent;
(3) the name and place of residence of the guardian of the person and the guardian of the estate, if any;".
Why do you think you have to provide that?? Gee, could it be because the parents/guardian MUST be noticed of the petition???

"And I did learn from someone more knowledgable than. Unfortunatley it wasn't you."
*** Yep, I can see the benefit of this knowledge??? :D

"Maybe you should take your own advice. I think that's be a good idea what about you. But then you don't think before you speak so I guess that's kinda hard"
*** Oh, wow. What an incredible insight you seem to have into the realities of life... and at such a young age. Let me help you out with some career planning....... Alwasy, always, ask the customer if they want cheese on that hamburger. The profits on that one slice of cheese are incredible!! And if you sell lots of them, your employer might make you 'head cheese'..... or maybe 'cheese head'!! :D

JETX

Pfaffing85690 said:
I was born Biggie Size :D:D:D
That's not what we heard!!
We heard that you had to pour pepper on it and wait for it to sneeze, just so that you could FIND it. :D

Z

zero43

I haven't read all those replys i have a feeling they don't have any useful info in them anyway. But my question was at what was the youngest age one could leave their parents home... That means legally or not and under any circumstances so to some of you who continue to post unitelligent comments can just keep them to themselves I already found my answer and it did not come from this forum.
One comment i did read was from the fellow who said i was a dumb ass because i stated the emancipation statute... Please review the question asked before you decide to post something else.
And for those of you who were trying to be helpful I thank you sincerely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">