• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Safety

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lblondie

Is there anything I can do to enforce that my husband puts a life jacket on our 4 yr old son whenever they are by the River, on the bank or the dock? We are in Michigan. I keep hounding and asking, and he won't do it. I want to see if there is a legal way I can force him to do this. Our son can not swim.

[Edited by Lblondie on 03-23-2001 at 01:35 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sounds to me like good 'ol hubby is on a "Power Trip", and an irresponsible one at that.

Why is it that your 4 year old can't swim yet? Remember, you have as much responsibility for any death or injury to your child as he would in the event of an incident. There is absolutely no reason for your negligence in bringing that child near any body of water, knowing he can't swim. Completely irresponsible on your part.

It also sound to me like if you "spout off" any type of law to him, that your marriage would be in jeopardy anyway, and he won't listen to reason or the laws. Unless you're willing to get yourself, as well as him, into trouble with the authorities for "Child Endangerment", and take a chance on having your child taken from both of you, I'd keep my mouth shut.

Instead, how about enrolling your child in a swimming class and teach the kid how to swim ? That sounds much more prudent. Also, when your child learns to swim, he'll also learn about safety, and will tell Dad himself that he needs his life jacket, or at the very least, his "water wings".

Good luck to you, and the kid.

IAAL

G

Grandma B

IAAL: "Good luck to you and the kid"

GrandmaB: and also to your daughter who he thinks he can prevent getting her drivers license!

What's with this guy anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">