• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katlh

My brother in Indiana is getting divorced after 11 yrs of marriage. 2 young children. He and his wife make about the same in wages. they have agreed on joint custody. my brother gets the children on thurs. or friday eve. and they go back monday after school (every week). He was told by their "mutual" lawyer he could be paying up to $486 per month in child support. This seems ridiculously high for someone making $24,000 gross per year. If they have joint custody and visitation is 50/50, how can this be so high?They will both carry medical insurance on the children. What else can be done to lower this?

M

mrpolk

I do not know the specific law in Indiana, but in California (and I suspect Indiana as well) there are statutory guidelines covering the amount of support. If they are earning about the same amount and share custody, it does not seem likely that he would have to bear an inordinate amount of the expenses for the child.

M

mrpolk

And, he should be able to make a motion to modify the amount of support if it is already set and does not reflect the economic realities of their situation.

freeride

child support/indiana

486.month=121.50 per wk.=60.75per child ,per week.
sounds fair.so of that give each child $ and put rest $[every week,same amount in child bank account]
ive done this now for 10yrs.and now that child is 16 driving and school expenses,it really helped,,and now i give him 80% of that weekly child support check to run on>>>>so yes, the amount is fair ,when you break it down and look at it......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">