• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support, Name Change, 3 parents, 3 states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

makelli3

I recently received notice from the CS Agency (WI) that has jurisdiction over my daughter's child support case that they would like to modify the support order. Seems our current order expresses the support as a percentage of gross income with a minimum obligation. The U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services has determined that it cannot be determined whether WI is collecting all the child support that should be paid. So, they want me to agree to this matter being scheduled for hearing to change the order to convert it to set monthly sums. Their office is telling me to send them a check/money order in the amount of $30.00 for a filing fee for the modification.

I live in Illinois with my children and my husband. The child's father lives in Michigan. The case is held in Wisconsin, where my daughter was born and resided for her first year. We will have to make the trip to Wisconsin (8 hour drive) for any hearings, as does the responsible parent, and I have no idea what this is going to do for me. Should I be paying out all of this money to let them do this?

I have never had a problem collecting the support money from the father, and the state does get his tax returns for arrears. I am considering changing to the Illinois Child Support Enforcement, but I'm not sure it is even worth the hassle, my daughter will only be receiving support for 8 more years and soon my husband (not my daughter's father) and I are going to petition our local court to change my daughter's last name. Would I be best off just hiring an attorney and modifying the order and changing her name at the same time? Is it possible and legal to combine the hearings that way?

And while we are modifying support orders, is now a good time to ask why he doesn't have a life insurance policy on himself for my daughter's sake? I think it is important that he care for her in the event of his death. We have policies on ourselves, why shouldn't he? Is it okay to ask for that now?

If I am going to fork over all these travel expenses shouldn't I be allowed to make it well worth my hassle?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information,not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

He doesn't have to supply life insurance unless the child support or divorce decree says so.

As to changing the last name, does that mean adoption? If so, the natural father must terminate his parental rights so step dad may adopt. If this is the case, use this ruling to complete the Wisconsin child support issue. If real dad's rights terminated, he doesn't have to pay child support. Kill two birds with one stone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">