• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childs age to choose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notbychoice

i live in va and was wondering how old a child can be before they are allowed to decide which parent they want to live with?

Grace_Adler

I don't know if there is any set age. I had a lawyer once tell me they usually listen more if the child is 12 years or older. I think it's up to the judge, but I'm not sure. Maybe the DA or magistrate might know.

D

Donna Miller

Child's age to choose

the code of virginia tells us that the age that a child decides where he wants to live is 15. i know this from experience.
you may find the code books in the library and search under 63.1 or on he internet under va. dept. of social services.

N

notbychoice

thanks

thank you grace and donna!!! i will check out the library seeing that i really cant afford an attorney at this time. God bless you both!!

Grace_Adler

Your welcome. I just wanted to let you know I was born and raised in the Tidewater aka Hampton Roads area and I know they legal aid up there..don't know if they handle the type of case you will be in though. You could also call the bar association I think they can refer you to an attorney for a reduced consultation. Also, some of the law schools have programs that can help. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">