• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childs last name changing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? VA

I went thru the paternity, joint custody,and the support procedures under my own power and now I have some questions that have been left unanswered. I sent the dept. of vital records a request for a new birth certificate to be drawn up for my daughter. The court has also sent them the required info of proof of paternity so that I am named as the father on the birth certificate. The mother was married at the time and had her husband sign the birth certificate so my daughter has his last name. I am wondering if the new Birth certificate will automaticaly bare my last name or if not, how would I go about getting that changed "legally" against the mothers will???? Its not too awfull important to me as long as I get to see my daughter but I do think that her husbands last name should be removed from my daughters name. Or should I wait for my daughter to grow up and decide for herself? she's only 18mnts old.

usmcfamily

The name will not automatically change -- that will have to be done as a seperate court procedure (unless there is mention of it in the documents the court already issued). A child does not automatically get the name of the bio-father ........ and be aware that they mother may well contest your petition for the change and it will be a matter of a court hearing to decide.....
I suggest you start the proceedings as soon as possible so that if you are successful it will reduce the confusion for the child as soon as possible as to what his/her name is.....

C

craftymom

Just a suggestion...... since you and mom's husband are a part of your daughter's life, and if the child's last name is to be changed, why not consider hyphening?

Such as:
if you're name were John Doe and the hubby's name were Tom Smith. Perhaps the "change" could be to "Doe-Smith". You might think it strange that I left the husband's name as the second name. The thinking behind this is, if mom and hubby go on to have children, their last names will be "Smith". Your daughter may feel awkward having the last name of only "Doe". By hyphenating, perhaps it will allow her to carry your name, as well as her residential family name? Just a thought.......

I think thats a little too crafty for me.......I think one last name will suit her fine, whoevers it is. But thanks for the thought. I wouldn't mind if she was to carry the maiden name of her mother.
I just don't think her husbands last name should be a part of my daughter because it was partly......mostly in my opinion...his fault this perdicerment happened in the first place..........I think you r pretty much right........Thx all....

all of the above.........live and learn right? being young and weak minded is a terrible thing. She was seperated from her husband during our relationship. She made it seem as though she hated his guts. Then soon after she got pregnant she got back with him. Never knew about bipolar before then. Its a weak excuse but I was seduced.........lol. She wouldn't leave me alone....even after she got back with her husband so I had to move to a diffirent city to get away from her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">