• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childs Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

additup75

Hi, I was just wondering if My ex fiance(daughters Mom), can sue me for our daughters doctors bills that were accumulated while we living together. The bills were like 1000 total and i did pay like 200 while we were together, but thats just how it went because her salary always doubled mine. She is doing this for spite becasue I had to goto small claims to get my engagement ring back, now shes doing this (she does have bi polar disorder, I think shes just a nut myself). Any response would help, Thanks in advance Mike! I am In NJ.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

additup75 said:
Hi, I was just wondering if My ex fiance(daughters Mom), can sue me for our daughters doctors bills that were accumulated while we living together. The bills were like 1000 total and i did pay like 200 while we were together, but thats just how it went because her salary always doubled mine. She is doing this for spite becasue I had to goto small claims to get my engagement ring back, now shes doing this (she does have bi polar disorder, I think shes just a nut myself). Any response would help, Thanks in advance Mike! I am In NJ.
My response:

Regardless of the "Ring" situation, of course she can sue you for your share of the medical bills. Remember, this is your daughter and you'll always be on the hook for 50% of the expenses to rear the child. So, it's not only going to be for this purpose, but also for all purposes and for all time . . . at least until your daughter is 18 years of age - - if not longer. And, it makes no difference whether you're living together or not.

I'm a little lost with the purpose of your question however. Why would you believe that you're not responsible for the care, feeding and housing of YOUR child - - at any time in her life ?

Is there more to this story that would make you believe that you're not financially responsible for your child ?

IAAL

A

additup75

To Iamalwaysliable , was that legal advice or was that your opinion on this situation, Maybe you misunderstand me here, This situation with the pregnancy doctor bills has long been resolved without a problem, she paid most of them, shes bringing this out of the woodwork as a spite tactic.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

additup75 said:
To Iamalwaysliable , was that legal advice or was that your opinion on this situation, Maybe you misunderstand me here, This situation with the pregnancy doctor bills has long been resolved without a problem, she paid most of them, shes bringing this out of the woodwork as a spite tactic.
My response:

In response to you, if you haven't already done so, please read my "Disclaimer" at the bottom of my posts and, if you choose, my profile as well.

Since this is your child, you are legally responsible for your share of all pre-natal and natal costs concerning your child. I presume this wasn't an Immaculate Conception, and that you had something to do with the conception of your child. Therefore, you have responsibility for such expenses, and continuing throughout the minority of your child's life.

You know, just a word to the wise. If you keep this up, by failing to take responsibility, your ex-fiance, and mother of your child, is eventually going to take you to Family Court to obtain orders MAKING you take responsibility. If you fail to do so at that time, you'll be risking "Contempt of Court" and potential jail time.

If you think I'm kidding, just sit in on a Family Court hearing or two, and watch what the judge does to recalcitrant fathers. It can be a real "awakening".

In short, you're lucky that she's only taking you to Small Claims court at this time. However, I imagine that at some point before or during that process, someone is going to recommend to her that she take you into Family Court for permanent orders.

I would suggest that your voluntarily pay her now, rather than have orders against you later.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">