• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming a child on taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohio_res_jen

Ohio:

I have a court order with one of my children that I can claim her every other year. (divorce custody order)

I have a second child that lives with me and I don't receive any support from the father at all and this child lives with me 12 months out of the year. No custody orders, and we were never married.

The second father said he is claiming her this year and theres nothing I can do about it. That doesn't sound correct at all.
Can I still go ahead and claim her? I supported her by myself 100% of the year.

Thank you for any advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohio:

I have a court order with one of my children that I can claim her every other year. (divorce custody order)

I have a second child that lives with me and I don't receive any support from the father at all and this child lives with me 12 months out of the year. No custody orders, and we were never married.

The second father said he is claiming her this year and theres nothing I can do about it. That doesn't sound correct at all.
Can I still go ahead and claim her? I supported her by myself 100% of the year.

Thank you for any advice!
Yes, you can (and should) claim the child. When the duplicate is discovered, you will both be asked to send in more information supporting the deduction, etc. He won't be able to.

If he files first, you may end up having to file a paper return.

ohio_res_jen

Yes, you can (and should) claim the child. When the duplicate is discovered, you will both be asked to send in more information supporting the deduction, etc. He won't be able to.

If he files first, you may end up having to file a paper return.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">