• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cohabitation in california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shalinee17

This maybe under the wrong category as I don't think it is family law but wasn't sure where else to put it. The situation is two people have been living together in the state of california for almost 2 years during which they have had a child. The mother of the child opted to quit her job once the baby was born. The relationship between the couple is now being ended. My questions are
1) does the father have to pay support to the mother or just child support?
2) because she is not working if she decides to seek a lawyer does he have to pay her lawyer fees?
3)If she is mentally and physically abusive to her 8 year old daughter (who also lives with them) from a previous relationship can this be used against her for the father to gain custody of his daughter?
thanks

Antigone*

This maybe under the wrong category as I don't think it is family law but wasn't sure where else to put it. The situation is two people have been living together in the state of california for almost 2 years during which they have had a child. The mother of the child opted to quit her job once the baby was born. The relationship between the couple is now being ended. My questions are
1) does the father have to pay support to the mother or just child support?
2) because she is not working if she decides to seek a lawyer does he have to pay her lawyer fees?
3)If she is mentally and physically abusive to her 8 year old daughter (who also lives with them) from a previous relationship can this be used against her for the father to gain custody of his daughter?
thanks
Dad's only obligation is to support baby. Money goes to baby's mom.

Who are you in this situation?

shalinee17

I am a friend of the father, I live in Canada.He is worried that if he consults a lawyer she will make things more difficult in terms of visitation of his child or even disappearing with his daughter

Proserpina

I am a friend of the father, I live in Canada.He is worried that if he consults a lawyer she will make things more difficult in terms of visitation of his child or even disappearing with his daughter
Let us put this another way:

If he does NOT contact an attorney his ex will get just about everything she demands and as they were not married that pretty much guarantees that Dad will have no access to his child. The best thing you can do here is tell him, directly, "Honey, you MUST see an attorney".

Tell him to register here himself and ask his questions. Realistically he's the only one who knows what's going on.

So, Dad, what else is going on? Is there proof of abuse?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">