• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cohabitation dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

negimage

What is the name of your state? NC
I am dissolving a 15yr relationship with a man with whom I have three children. My name does not appear on any assets or debts we accumulated while together. I also am moving my children to another state with me. What obligations do I have to pay on any debts, and can he block my move?

negimage

No agreements have been reached, we are in the early stages. I am planning to file with the county child support enforcement agency to establish support.

Just Blue

I am dissolving a 15yr relationship with a man with whom I have three children. My name does not appear on any assets or debts we accumulated while together. I also am moving my children to another state with me. What obligations do I have to pay on any debts, and can he block my move?
Has the father of the children given you WRITTEN permission for you to move his children out of state?

jlynn64tech

I don't know if NC is a common law state. However, my husband just went through a "move" problem with his ex-wife. She was going to move out of state from Tennessee to NC. We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running. I am unsure as to what your exact circumstances are, but from what I have experienced, I would say that he can stop you temporarily. There would have to be a formal agreement parenting plan.

Silverplum

I don't know if NC is a common law state. However, my husband just went through a "move" problem with his ex-wife. She was going to move out of state from Tennessee to NC. We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running. I am unsure as to what your exact circumstances are, but from what I have experienced, I would say that he can stop you temporarily. There would have to be a formal agreement parenting plan.
If you don't know, and are part of the "Google, :confused:what?" crowd, then don't bother to answer. Specifically, don't bring up something that happened in a DIFFERENT STATE. That merely confuses the poster.

Poster and searchers and learners:
http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/living-together/common-law-states.html

http://www.ncbar.org/public/publications/pamphlets/marriageInNC.pdf

Read. Learn.

mommyof4

We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running.
And she didn't file criminal charges for assault?:rolleyes: WE didn't do anything and NOBODY told HER that she could not leave the state. Now, the court may have said she couldn't remove the children....

No, there does not have to be a formal parenting plan. He goes to court and motions the court for an order barring her from removing the children from the state pending custody/visitation.

And of course, I am assuming that the father is the LEGAL father of the OP's children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">