+ Reply to Thread
    negimage is offline Junior Member

cohabitation dissolution

What is the name of your state? NC
    I am dissolving a 15yr relationship with a man with whom I have three children. My name does not appear on any assets or debts we accumulated while together. I also am moving my children to another state with me. What obligations do I have to pay on any debts, and can he block my move?
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Are there any court orders for visitation, child support or custody?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    negimage is offline Junior Member
    No agreements have been reached, we are in the early stages. I am planning to file with the county child support enforcement agency to establish support.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by negimage View Post
    I am dissolving a 15yr relationship with a man with whom I have three children. My name does not appear on any assets or debts we accumulated while together. I also am moving my children to another state with me. What obligations do I have to pay on any debts, and can he block my move?
    Has the father of the children given you WRITTEN permission for you to move his children out of state?
    jlynn64tech is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by negimage View Post
    I don't know if NC is a common law state. However, my husband just went through a "move" problem with his ex-wife. She was going to move out of state from Tennessee to NC. We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running. I am unsure as to what your exact circumstances are, but from what I have experienced, I would say that he can stop you temporarily. There would have to be a formal agreement parenting plan.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynn64tech View Post
    I don't know if NC is a common law state. However, my husband just went through a "move" problem with his ex-wife. She was going to move out of state from Tennessee to NC. We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running. I am unsure as to what your exact circumstances are, but from what I have experienced, I would say that he can stop you temporarily. There would have to be a formal agreement parenting plan.
    If you don't know, and are part of the "Google, what?" crowd, then don't bother to answer. Specifically, don't bring up something that happened in a DIFFERENT STATE. That merely confuses the poster.

Poster and searchers and learners:
    [url]http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/living-together/common-law-states.html[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbar.org/public/publications/pamphlets/marriageInNC.pdf[/url]

Read. Learn.
    mommyof4 is offline Senior Member
    We restrained her from doing so because there was a threat of her running.
    And she didn't file criminal charges for assault? WE didn't do anything and NOBODY told HER that she could not leave the state. Now, the court may have said she couldn't remove the children....

No, there does not have to be a formal parenting plan. He goes to court and motions the court for an order barring her from removing the children from the state pending custody/visitation.

And of course, I am assuming that the father is the LEGAL father of the OP's children.