• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cohabitation gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

healtheduc8r

What is the name of your state? MD

My significant other and I have been together for foru years. During our relationship, she prchased a home (my credit was bad) and asked me to move in with her. We have lived in the home for about a year and a half through good and bad times. I have contributed to the house on a monthly bases both physically (upkeep) and financially ($2000+).
Well, we have had some trust issues, accusations of cheating (on both parts) and some minor financial problems. We are both ready to end the relationship.
She wants me out NOW, if not sooner. I am in the process of finding a place. My question is: Does the law allow a certain amount of time for me to find a place? Or, can she change the lock and set my things outside, as she has threatened to do?

PLEASE HELP.What is the name of your state?

Zephyr

look up the landlord tenent laws for your state, should be easy to google......

although, just for your own peace of mind (and if this is messy- even protection) getting out asap is probably the best route

healtheduc8r

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just move on. A friend of mine said that I could persue some kind of support/financial award from the house. I don't think I even want to be bothered with all that. I just want out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for the info. I think I'll just move on. A friend of mine said that I could persue some kind of support/financial award from the house. I don't think I even want to be bothered with all that. I just want out.
On what basis? You have no grounds as you were just paying rent. And a house cannot provide support -- you cannot sue the house -- and your girlfriend has no obligation to support you.

healtheduc8r

I dunno

Ohiogal,
I'm not sure if that is accurate. I just want to be out. My issue was if she could just put me out and change the locks w/o any notice.

p.s.
oooops! I misspelled "four" (foru) in my original post

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohiogal,
I'm not sure if that is accurate. I just want to be out. My issue was if she could just put me out and change the locks w/o any notice.

p.s.
And that was answered by the fact that you are paying rent and others telling you to look at your landlord tenant laws as you are a tenant. Hence she has to follow them.

ceara19

Ohiogal,

p.s.
Well, those that have replied DO know that the information you have been given here is accurate. She will need to go through the proper eviction process, however, WHY would you want to continue staying somewhere that you are not wanted with a person that doesn't want you around?

healtheduc8r

I'm leaving

Ceara19,
I do not want to stay any longer than I have to. My concern was that she wanted to put me out on the spot. I had no place to go and it was in the middle of the night. I am moving ASAP. I don't want to be here any more than she wants me here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">