• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College going daughter's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancymichell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My college going daughter bought a car on her name. Do I have any right on the car to use without her permission? I pay her college tuition and she lives in my house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My college going daughter bought a car on her name. Do I have any right on the car to use without her permission? I pay her college tuition and she lives in my house.
She is an ADULT. You have no right to use the vehicle unless she gives you permission.

nancymichell

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, she is an "adult" but I paid or arranged everything for her since she was born. I still pay for her books and daily expenses and she is listed as a dependent in my health insurance policy, and she is claimed as dependent in my tax returns as well. I gave her cash to buy this car but my name is nowhere on this car certificates.

It seems from your feedback that I have no choice but to respect the fact that she is an "ADULT" and get her permission to use the car. Thanks once again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, she is an "adult" but I paid or arranged everything for her since she was born. I still pay for her books and daily expenses and she is listed as a dependent in my health insurance policy, and she is claimed as dependent in my tax returns as well. I gave her cash to buy this car but my name is nowhere on this car certificates.

It seems from your feedback that I have no choice but to respect the fact that she is an "ADULT" and get her permission to use the car. Thanks once again.
Maybe it's time to cut the apron strings...

RRevak

Her name is the sole name on the paperwork. Does she also make the payments? Does she also pay the insurance? Does she also pay for maintenance? If you answered yes to those things then its incredibly rude for you to assume you get to use it despite other things you pay for. And btw, paying for her since she was born is called being a PARENT! You don't get to hold that over her like the sword of damocles. Either grow up and let the car be hers, or cut her loose.

You can also buy your OWN car if its such an inconvenience to not be able to use hers....

nancymichell

Thank you one more time.
I am not paying anything for the car since she bought it.

Yes, it was my responsibility to help her when she was a child.

I understand my limits and thanks again for reminding me of all these.

Just Blue

Thank you one more time.
I am not paying anything for the car since she bought it.

Yes, it was my responsibility to help her when she was a child.

I understand my limits and thanks again for reminding me of all these.
I find it really strange that you would bring up the fact that you:

Yes, she is an "adult" but I paid or arranged everything for her since she was born

Any parent who cares about a child does the above. Without expecting to use childs car later in life. Gheesh!!:mad:

RRevak

I find it really strange that you would bring up the fact that you:

Any parent who cares about a child does the above. Without expecting to use childs car later in life. Gheesh!!:mad:
After mulling this thread over for a bit, i'm now wondering if this is actually the daughter and not the mother posting. It really is odd that a parent would reference paying for their child since birth as a means to guilt use of property they themselves admit giving their child.

Silverplum

After mulling this thread over for a bit, i'm now wondering if this is actually the daughter and not the mother posting. It really is odd that a parent would reference paying for their child since birth as a means to guilt use of property they themselves admit giving their child.
Might be. Weird people. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

I agree with Silver. Peeps are weird...:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">