• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

com. law mar. what legal rights do i have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desenia olea

i had lived with my parther more then 7 yrs in a common law marriage in nj. ( we also have a 3yr old together)i just moved to ca because i have no family/friend support in nj. the problem is i don't know what i have legal rights to. everything we ever bought was in his name or credit cards but both our checks went to the same account. the checks were not in my name but the personal company name. i have worked too hard to be left with no money and a daughter to support and to have to start all over again. can i fight for something and if not should i try to sue him? please help.
feeling very used

G

Grandma B

New Jersey is not a common law state, so you were not living in a common law marriage. Since you chose to move across the country with your child without taking what might have been yours, your first action should be to get legal custody of the child.

He's probably already taken care of the financial end; however, you can and should ask for child support, and get a visitation schedule worked out. I assume since you thought you were "married" that his name is on the birth certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">