• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Comman Law Marriage after Legal Marriage with same spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Diana920

What is the name of your state? California
This get's a bit complicated. My husband and I were married in 1995, one year after our daughter was born. We resided continually with exception to separation due to hospitalizations for his drinking proglem. We moved to Mississippi. There we continued to reside together, but with extensive destruction to our marriage as well as our home because of continued drinking. The laws were somewhat different in Mississippi and I was told that the only way I could have him removed from the home (he was at that point a black out drinker -- abusive & destructive - had to get this away from our daughter) was to divorce him. There was some misinformation provided by legal aid (as I was informed later) and we were divorced in the year 2001. I filed (the wife) paid for everything, had been the only support for our family both financially as well as physically & emotionally because of the unresolved drinking problem. I asked for minimum of child support because of his temper and was afraid to ask for 50% of anything he had because he was unpredictable when he drank. He left for California, was supposed to have gone into recovery and we reumited only to establish him and to date until we would remarry if all went well. He got to Mississippi, proposed to me and then told me his problem was still ongoing. From that point I nursed him through another bout which included broken arms, borken back, broken legs, broken hands as well as the destruction this had on me financially! I took out and paid many loans to cover extra expenses! We decide he should return to
California to give it another try. He said he would send for us as soon as he could and would send money when he could. He sent $10 in six months! We were close to homelessness but his friend came first! He called me in December of 2002 to inform me that his father is passing and that he can send for us, to sell what we have, pay off the bills and bring the remaining by truck to California. We were to be married and were to live in a house (which was what my little girl was assustomed to in Mississippi. I arrived with child under toe to find that he was near his death bed due to drinking. There is no home, we check into a hotel and look fast for an apartment There he within a few days went into a coma. He is diabetic and has a failing liver. I nurse him bacik to health only to become reacuainted with the jerk I knew before. He threw me and my little one out on the streets because I was not cleaning the right thing. The threats have been ongoing and increasing in intensity. I am trapped as I can't afford California and our child alone as he has made it clear that he does not feel that he is responsible for child support above $100 or so (he's a millionaire!) We currently live in a double standard home. He livfes as he had promised we would all live someday if I would hang on and handle the affairs and we live a much lesser standard (in the same home!) and live with threats of abandonment almost weekly (both me and my daughter!; are denied our smallest of wishes (I just want my kitty back) but he is controlling us as we've nowhere to go and he knows it
We are miserable as you may well imagine. He just purchased himself a home that I can clean for him (of course my name is excluded when it benefits him and included as his wife when it benefits him) I am broke a good deal of the time and I am the one that took care of him and my daughter when he couldn't or wouldn't. I was disabled with back injury in 97)

We are moving into this house that he calls ours but which he holds title to without even including me as a tenant, announcing the conditions we must live under, I do all of hs paperwork (which is extensice) Housework and am 100% responsible for our daughter. He does me favors occassonally by taking her to school. He says we have no rights. I hope there are some laws to protect us. The divorce involved 50% of my property to him and 0% of his property to me.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? We'd like to have our lives back.

VeronicaGia

Yes, you can stop going back to him for more abuse.

Find a place to live, go to the local child support enforcement agency and file for support and custody of the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">