• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Janice Seal

In UT how long do you have to live with someone to be considered common law married? And can you add that person to your health ins?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Janice Seal said:
In UT how long do you have to live with someone to be considered common law married? And can you add that person to your health ins?
My response:

In Utah, there is no "length of time" per se. All that's required for a common-law marriage is that a man and woman must (1) be capable of giving consent and getting married; (2) cohabit; and (3) have a reputation of being husband and wife.

So, however long it takes to "cohabit" and for having a "reputation" of being husband and wife appears to be the "benchmarks" - - not just time alone. However, what does "reputation" mean, and how do you accomplish that "reputation" ? I have no idea, especially because I practice in California, which is NOT a common law marriage State, and there, you actually have to obtain a marriage license and get married by someone who is qualified to marry people.

If you have met these State requirements however, then the State of Utah considers you married, and are thus entitled to be on your spouse's health insurance.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">