• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common law marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Telemaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
First time here and I'm not sure what I'm doing. I am on Social Security and a small pension from Maytag. I have a student loan from college in Colorado that now amounts to $100,000. I would love to get married to my sweetie. We have been together almost a year and a half now. But would she be liable for my student loan bill if we were to marry. Or is she already liable because we live together and have common bills.

Sure would like some help.

Larry:confused:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
First time here and I'm not sure what I'm doing. I am on Social Security and a small pension from Maytag. I have a student loan from college in Colorado that now amounts to $100,000. I would love to get married to my sweetie. We have been together almost a year and a half now. But would she be liable for my student loan bill if we were to marry. Or is she already liable because we live together and have common bills.

Sure would like some help.

Larry:confused:
Are you presenting yourselves as married?

Iowa does recognize common-law and there is no statutory period of time before a couple can deem themselves common-law married.

So...let's establish that first.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Unless she is a co-signor, she is not responsible for your bills prior to any marriage, common-law or otherwise.

Telemaster

Thanks for the help so soon. We do not present ourselves as married. We
have a good relationship and like the way we live. I do thank you so much for your help. It would be better if we were married but I wouldn't want to burden her with my financial mistakes. Any more input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">