• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law marriage health insurance and taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

endel

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My girlfriend and I live together. She is a student at the University of Iowa. I'm an alumni of Iowa and currently an electrician. I'm supporting us and she has a part time job to pay for books. We are financially independent of our parents with the exception of health insurance, which she gets from her parents, and they will, I assume, claim her as a dependent. How do I go about getting "married" so that we can safely get her on my insurance and file our taxes so I can claim her as a dependent student. Do you know if this will increase how much help she gets as far as loans, because now she is getting the shaft. She is the middle child and her parents make so much money that she gets none. She just turned 18 this march and moved in with me that day. She is a brilliant, kind, and generous young woman and I'm a hard working 24 year old with a collage degree and am starting to, for the first time in my life, be happy beyond my wildest dreams. I want to give her the gift of education my parents gave me and a real sense of independence from her overbearing, abusive, baby factory of a mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">