• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Marriage in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomoutburst

I live in Texas and have a question regarding common law ("informal") marriage:

After claiming marriage under common law, it is considered a legal and legally binding marriage. Can the couple that claimed informal marriage, at a later date, "change" it to a formal marriage? Or by claiming common law marriage does it indicate that it considered a "formal" marriage?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

I live in Texas and have a question regarding common law ("informal") marriage:

After claiming marriage under common law, it is considered a legal and legally binding marriage. Can the couple that claimed informal marriage, at a later date, "change" it to a formal marriage? Or by claiming common law marriage does it indicate that it considered a "formal" marriage?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
They can change it to a formal marriage by getting a marriage license and getting married formally. However, if it meets all of the elements of a common law marriage (or has been registered as such) its still a fully legal marriage.

randomoutburst

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. I'm not worried about it not being recognized as legal because I know it will be. I was just wondering about the change to a formal marriage. Thanks much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">