• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Marriage w/ death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Icycreek

What is the name of your state? PA
A friend's father just passed away. His father and (step mom) were never legally married, but lived together as common law man and wife for 15 plus years. He was hospitalized and died while in the hospital. They have a minor daughter. He had no estate, health insurance or life insurance. My questions are: Who would be responsible for his medical bills? Is his minor child eligible for any type of social security benefits since she is still a full time student? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

"Who would be responsible for his medical bills?"
*** His estate is liable for the bills. And if he in fact died without assets, then the debts died with him.

"Is his minor child eligible for any type of social security benefits since she is still a full time student?"
*** Depends on lots of factors. Have her talk with the local SSI office.

I

Icycreek

Thank you JETX. I was thinking that about the debt, but wasn't sure if it fell back on the family left behind. I will pass your advice on to them. Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">