• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common-law marriages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mboozy

Me and my son's father were common-law married in Colorado. We have moved to Arizona. Does the state of Arizona recogize our common-law marriage? Do we need to fill out any papers for them to recognize it here?

MySonsMom

Arizona does not recognize common law marriages. I'm not sure if your status can carry over to a state that doesn't recognize them or not. Someone will have to jump in and explain if it can carry over to a non common law state.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mboozy said:
Me and my son's father were common-law married in Colorado. We have moved to Arizona. Does the state of Arizona recogize our common-law marriage? Do we need to fill out any papers for them to recognize it here?
My response:

While only 11 States have laws concerning Common Law marriages - - Colorado being one of them - - and while all the other States do not have provisions in their laws for Common Law marriages, despite that fact, all of the other States WILL recognize your Common Law marriage. As long as you've properly complied with the Common Law marriage statutes of your originating State, you will be considered married in all the other States; i.e., there is no need to get married again in a State that doesn't have Common Law statutes on the books.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

MySonsMom

Thanks IAAL, that is interesting to know. :) I've learned my "one thing for the day", so I'm going home now. hehehe.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MySonsMom said:
Thanks IAAL, that is interesting to know. :) I've learned my "one thing for the day", so I'm going home now. hehehe.

My further response:

For example, a "Common Law marriage" (marriage predicated solely on consent and cohabitation without license and solemnization) entered into in a jurisdiction that validates same will be recognized for all purposes in California. [Marriage of Smyklo, supra; Tatum v. Tatum (9th Cir. 1957) 241 F.2d 401, 407; Colbert v. Colbert (1946) 28 Cal.2d 276, 280, 169 P.2d 633, 635]

But if the out-of-state jurisdiction does not recognize a purported common law marriage, neither will California [See Etienne v. DKM Enterprises, Inc. (1982) 136 Cal.App.3d 487, 492, 186 Cal.Rptr. 321, 324--alleged Texas common law marriage not valid under Texas law and thus not recognized in Calif.]

Life just wouldn't be worth living if we didn't learn something new, at least once per day.

Good to see you again, MSM !

How's everything going ? When are you moving back in with your husband ? Hasn't this crap been going on long enough ?

Only good thoughts and good wishes for you (and your husband),

IAAL

MySonsMom

Good to see you again, MSM !

How's everything going ? When are you moving back in with your husband ? Hasn't this crap been going on long enough ?

Only good thoughts and good wishes for you (and your husband),

IAAL [/B][/QUOTE]

Things are going well here. I have another 7 months to think about it, as I am in a yr lease. I miss my husband and son horribly. (I do see them quite often though) But I do not miss at all dealing with the pyscho x girlfriend. (stepsons bio Mom)

You know how she claimed that she wanted to be a better Mother etc etc etc...so I stepped back to allow her too. Well, she is as worthless now as she has ever been. No change whatsoever. I guess I thought that *maybe* she would realize that the child needs a Mother now that *I* wasn't around everyday as I have been for the past 7 yrs. I expected too much I guess. Because she hasn't changed one bit. Go figure.

But things will work out as they should, I am confident in that. Hubby has started his own business and is enjoying it emensely. I'm very very happy for him. Finally, he is doing what he has worked so very hard to do. So, all in all; things are fine.

Thanks for asking hon. ;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, got it !

What's that about a leopard never changing it's spots ?

Glad to hear you're doing fine, and that hubby is happy - - at least with his new business.

Cook me some Lasagna tonight, will ya ?

IAAL

MySonsMom

Cook me some Lasagna tonight, will ya ?

IAAL

[/B][/QUOTE]

For you IAAL, of course. Lasagna is my specialty. I can bake up some mean lasagna. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">