• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law marriages- Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sprosperi

After living with a man for six years, he has died. We were going to get married in March. He stated this would void his will and I would inherit his estate. I have taken care of this man whose health has not been good (Five heart Bypasses in 1999, alcoholic, rehab for this twice. His children abandoned him because of his alcoholism. They refused to have any contact with him except holidays and birthdays(which were never the actual day. His children live in the same town. His son even worked in the same building. Still-- no contact with his kids except holidays and birthdays. Now that he is dead, his children have locked me out of our other home. (He just purchased another home in south Atlanta. We have been living together in his condo in downtown Atlanta) The children will not even let me have our furniture or other belongings that we just purchased for our new home. What are my rights? Do I have any?

MySonsMom

Unfortunately, Georgia does not recognize common law marriages.

This is going to be a hard battle.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">