• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common law rule in WA.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

br5

Washington State...My girlfriend and I are splitting the sheets...we have been together just over 4 years now. Living together in a lease option house that has an expired contract. I am redoing the contract in my name only. She seems to think she is entitled to half of what I own. I call BS. What is the common law in my state? Do we even have one? She says she is not leaving HER house, even though she cannot afford, or have her name on the large down payment. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Just Blue

Washington State...My girlfriend and I are splitting the sheets...we have been together just over 4 years now. Living together in a lease option house that has an expired contract. I am redoing the contract in my name only. She seems to think she is entitled to half of what I own. I call BS. What is the common law in my state? Do we even have one? She says she is not leaving HER house, even though she cannot afford, or have her name on the large down payment. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
What have you and she done to qualify as Common Law? (Other than live together?)

Just Blue

Nothing...no domestic partnership, no engagement...
She is legally entitled to what she paid for and you are entitled to what you paid for. ;)

And BOTH of you are LEGALLY allowed to live in the house/Apt. untill there is a CO stating otherwise.

br5

Thank you! What is a "CO"? I have a lease option contract in my name only. I realize I will probably have to formally evict her as she has very much established tenancy.

Just Blue

Thank you! What is a "CO"? I have a lease option contract in my name only. I realize I will probably have to formally evict her as she has very much established tenancy.
CO=Court Order.

And yes. You will have to evict her. Or the LL will. Check your state Statutes to figure it out. Well worth your while!

Best of luck to you both.:)

Please keep in mind that the end of a relationship does not = end of friendship...K?:)

br5

Thanks Blue Meanie! I really don't want this to be a bad thing, just want to cover my butt. Her parents live in Canada, and are filling her head with vengeful things. So grateful for this site, and your help!

Just Blue

Thanks Blue Meanie! I really don't want this to be a bad thing, just want to cover my butt. Her parents live in Canada, and are filling her head with vengeful things. So grateful for this site, and your help!
Disregard the parents. Canadian Law does not apply to U.S..

;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">