• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common law in Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broncos

What is the name of your state? Utah

My boyfriend is disabled, paralyzed. When he and his exwife got their divorce it is in the divorce decree that she would purchase a residence for him to live in and pay for the up keep of it and the taxes, payments, ect. For as long as he lives. The exception to this that is stated in the divorce decree are that if he gets married than he has 2 years to either buy the place from her or move out. He has lived in the residence for about 11 years now and the last 3 of them I have lived there with him. He has always had to have a roomate. We were dating when his last roomate moved out and I moved in. I have a seperate bedroom than he does, our bills have our own names on them, we do not file our taxes together. I am his primary care giver. He does not work all the time, he does get social securit/disability. I do work. We thought about purchasing the residence at one point and even talked to his ex about it, it would be me purchasing it. I decided that Icould not afford to do that so I have not inquired further about it. The divorce decree does not say anything about what would happen if his girlfriend lived in the residence with him. We have been careful to keep everything seperate and we are not planning on getting married. His ex called him today and stated that she feels that we should be forced to purchase the residence or pay rent because i live there and we are involved..she stated that utah has laws about couples that live together and if we do not agree than she will take us to court. I need to know what rights she has? and are we really considered common law married? like I said our bills are seperate, we do not file taxes together, seperate bank accounts, the only time we have ever refered to each other as husband and wife is just joking around on occasion. Any advice?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Utah

My boyfriend is disabled, paralyzed. When he and his exwife got their divorce it is in the divorce decree that she would purchase a residence for him to live in and pay for the up keep of it and the taxes, payments, ect. For as long as he lives. The exception to this that is stated in the divorce decree are that if he gets married than he has 2 years to either buy the place from her or move out. He has lived in the residence for about 11 years now and the last 3 of them I have lived there with him. He has always had to have a roomate. We were dating when his last roomate moved out and I moved in. I have a seperate bedroom than he does, our bills have our own names on them, we do not file our taxes together. I am his primary care giver. He does not work all the time, he does get social securit/disability. I do work. We thought about purchasing the residence at one point and even talked to his ex about it, it would be me purchasing it. I decided that Icould not afford to do that so I have not inquired further about it. The divorce decree does not say anything about what would happen if his girlfriend lived in the residence with him. We have been careful to keep everything seperate and we are not planning on getting married. His ex called him today and stated that she feels that we should be forced to purchase the residence or pay rent because i live there and we are involved..she stated that utah has laws about couples that live together and if we do not agree than she will take us to court. I need to know what rights she has? and are we really considered common law married? like I said our bills are seperate, we do not file taxes together, seperate bank accounts, the only time we have ever refered to each other as husband and wife is just joking around on occasion. Any advice?
Your boyfriend should consult with an attorney. I suspect that their divorce agreement would supercede anything else since this is a bit of an unusual case. However consulting a local attorney will get the straightest answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">