• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

competency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wiesmatt

Minnestoa
My mother is trying to put her husband in a Vet's nursing home. He is a Vet and is on a waiting list. Medical documents state he is mentally incompetent. He is in his 80's and suffering from Alzheimers(sp?). She needs to know the legal steps she must take to place keep him in a nursing home. She is unable to care for him and is in her 70's. His children say they take care of him in their home, yet there a numerous police records of him being picked up for hitch hiking and being brought home from being lost. They do not give medicines and are neglecting him. She is afraid he will sign himself out of the home, if placed there. She feels he will receive the best care in a nursing home. What legal steps must she go through in order to keep him in the Vet's nursing home? VA doctors have medically delcared him mentally incompetent. Approximately how much money will this legal process cost start from finish? His children are too disfunctional to fight any legal process stopping the placement.
Thanks....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your Mom needs to obtain the assistance of a Family Law attorney. That attorney will file the necessary papers in court to set up a Competency and Guardianship hearing for her husband. If your Mom obtains a court order giving her guardianship of her husband, then she can place him anywhere she wants, and he won't be able to "sign himself out."

Oh, he'll try, like he's done it before. But this time, the hospital won't pay any attention to him.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 07-02-2001 at 04:37 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">