• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conflict of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jamie93

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I have sued my ex for contempt of court for issues involving debts owed and insurance.

I had previously consulted an attorney regarding this issue. I did not retain him,but I did go to his office and discuss this with him, had an initial consultation and was given advice by him. I later decided to retain another attorney. My ex husband did retain the first attorney I consulted. My attorney has requested that this attorney step down due to conflict of interest and he has refused to do so stating that he doesnt remember talking to me. We are going to file a "motion to recuse him for the conflict".

What are the issues here. Is this really a conflict if he says he doesnt remember me. The only record that I went there is a date marked on my calendar and possibly phone records where I telephoned his office. The consultation took place in May of last year but this issue hasn't gone to court yet.

A

amc822

The lawyer must be really hard up for money because that is definitely a conflict of interest. Actually some people use it as a tactic to screw their spouse. They go to all the really good divorce attorneys in the area for a free consultation and that prohibits them from representing the spouse. You can always file a complaint with whatever agency deals with attorney discipline.

J

Jamie93

thanks

I just wanted to be sure I was not being a b***** about this, but there are many attorneys available to my ex, he knew I went to see this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">