• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consenting, adult GF's mother threatens legal action if I contact my GF

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wittybiceps

I live in MD, my GF lives in Ontario, Canada. I don't know how the law works in this case, but I'm fairly sure two consenting adults can communicate freely without fear of legal action from parents.

ps I didn't know where else to post this

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Are you communicating via any device Mom owns/pays for? Does your g/f live with Mom? If so, your adult g/f should consider (a) finding a way to live on her own and (b) pay for her own electronics (be it land line, cell or computer). You know - like an adult.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And by adult, do you mean someone who has already passed their 18th birthday, or are you making the common mistake that someone who has passed the age of legal consent to sex but who is still not yet 18, is no longer under the care and control of their parents?

wittybiceps

And by adult, do you mean someone who has already passed their 18th birthday, or are you making the common mistake that someone who has passed the age of legal consent to sex but who is still not yet 18, is no longer under the care and control of their parents?
She will be 21 in May, which I believe is well beyond the age of consent, even in Canada.

Are you communicating via any device Mom owns/pays for? Does your g/f live with Mom? If so, your adult g/f should consider (a) finding a way to live on her own and (b) pay for her own electronics (be it land line, cell or computer). You know - like an adult.
She's currently working two jobs, one of which is tutoring high school students, and going to university full time. She is paying for her own things

Wait until you cross the border and your name comes up in their computer.
I'm still waiting to hear what I could possibly be charged with.

LdiJ

She will be 21 in May, which I believe is well beyond the age of consent, even in Canada.

She's currently working two jobs, one of which is tutoring high school students, and going to university full time. She is paying for her own things

I'm still waiting to hear what I could possibly be charged with.
I certainly cannot think of anything that you could be doing that is illegal, unless you are doing things on the internet that you should not be doing.

wittybiceps

I certainly cannot think of anything that you could be doing that is illegal, unless you are doing things on the internet that you should not be doing.
Neither can I. I understand since she's living with her parents they have a certain amount of control over her activities, but nothing we have done has been even remotelly illegal, in any country, let alone the United States and Canada.

Can't you avoid all this hassle and just find a girlfriend in Maryland? I live here and see a lot of women walking around. :rolleyes:
Fighting for something you love isn't a hassle, at least to me

Eekamouse

If she doesn't want to respect her parent's wishes while living under their roof, she probably should move out. Is there some reason why they dislike you this much?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">