• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court/Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annette2121

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

My sister lives in Omaha, NE, she is deaf. Her exhusband lives in Miami, FL where their divorce was finalized on May 28, 2003. He has a Pick Up Truck that is under both of their names and in the divorce decree it states that:

THE HUSBAND SHALL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PAYMENT, MAINTENANCE AND INSURANCE OF THE AUTOMOBILE WHICH IS CURRENTLY TITLED IN BOTH NAMES. WITHIN 6 MONTHS FROM THE FILING OF THIS PETITION, THE HUSBAND AGREES TO PAY OFF OR REFINANCE SAID VEHICLE AND TO REMOVE THE WIFE FROM THE TITLE.

Well it has been well over six months and he has not done as the court has instructed him to do. This car is paid as agreed with no history of late payments. However, because it shows as a debt in her name she can not obtain any credit because her debt to income is too high. She was not even able to rent an apartment.

I sent him a letter on November 1st notifying him that he was in contempt of court and that he needed to take care of this situation within 60 days and that I needed the original note from the bank stating it had been paid in full. I have yet to receive this information and it has been well over the 60 day period.

To make matters worse, the attorney my sister used is no longer an attorney and I would like to know what I should do other than obtain another attorney. Can we do this on our own or do we really need an attorney?

She is not able to fly to and from Miami because of her income as she is on disability. What do you suggest? Please help us clear this problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">