• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom5467

What is the process if a name change of a minor request has been contested ''pro se'' by the other party in Texas? What legal rights do I have if the other party is in prison, had only a handful of visitations prior to that, does not pay child support and has been imprisoned for his connection with a homicide? How is that fair that I have to hire an attorney to file the name change petition, whereas the prison provides a ''law library'' and all the legal forms for their inmates? Does any one know of an aggressive yet reasonably priced lawyer in the Brazoria area who can put this nightmare behind me once and for all? It's tough enough being a working single mother, but to always have a no-good deadbeat ex consistantly haunting me and my child has been strenuous on myself and my loved ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What is the process if a name change of a minor request has been contested ''pro se'' by the other party in Texas? What legal rights do I have if the other party is in prison, had only a handful of visitations prior to that, does not pay child support and has been imprisoned for his connection with a homicide? How is that fair that I have to hire an attorney to file the name change petition, whereas the prison provides a ''law library'' and all the legal forms for their inmates? Does any one know of an aggressive yet reasonably priced lawyer in the Brazoria area who can put this nightmare behind me once and for all? It's tough enough being a working single mother, but to always have a no-good deadbeat ex consistantly haunting me and my child has been strenuous on myself and my loved ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You picked him!:D
Just as I picked mine.:eek:
An attorney is ALWAYS best, but you have access to tons of information via the internet/library. It appears you filed the petition without an attorney.

Gracie3787

You also have a law library at your disposal. Most courthouses have a law library, and you also have the internet. You will also find the pro-se forms at one of those places.

Research your state's laws and court rules, case law, compile your evidence, and file pro-se.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">