• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copies of car keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the_mayor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia
I would like to know if I can go to a dealership with the VIN numbers of my wife's vehicles and get copies made without her with me. She thinks al of our stuff is hers and I have no legal rights to use anything. Can someone help me with this question?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia
I would like to know if I can go to a dealership with the VIN numbers of my wife's vehicles and get copies made without her with me. She thinks al of our stuff is hers and I have no legal rights to use anything. Can someone help me with this question?
If your name is on the title, you should be able to get the keys.

Note: Some newer cars (like my VW) have computer chips in the keys. The car must be brought to the dealership and hooked up to their computer in order to allow any new key to start it. A spare for mine costs $300. With NO key, it would have to be towed there first, and probably add another $100 or so.

the_mayor

If I am not on the title

If I am not on the title I can not use the VIN? if I take the key can I get copies made?

the_mayor

Thanks Steve. Is it against the law for me to take my wife's Keys and make copies. We live in the same house, have not filed for divorce, no domestic violence or anything like that. She just will not let me use the car

ShyCat

She just will not let me use the car
She doesn't have to, and might have very good reasons not to, such as if your driver's license is suspended, if you are an excluded driver on the car's insurance policy, if you are known to drive while impaired, etc.

LdiJ

If I am not on the title I can not use the VIN? if I take the key can I get copies made?
I would be very surprised if a car dealer would make a key for you using a VIN if you cannot prove that you are the owner of the car.

I had to have a key made using a VIN and I had to provide a copy of the registration for the car to prove that I owned it.

Mass_Shyster

I would be very surprised if a car dealer would make a key for you using a VIN if you cannot prove that you are the owner of the car.

I had to have a key made using a VIN and I had to provide a copy of the registration for the car to prove that I owned it.
I would be very surprised if a car dealer refused to make a key for someone with the same last name and address of the owner.

I suspect things have changed, but in 1979, I know that locksmiths had books that allowed them to cut keys based on a VIN.

Last edited:

ecmst12

I would think the chances of getting a key without the owner's consent are zero. Married or not, you can't use the car without her permission. You want to drive, get your own car.

justalayman

I would be very surprised if a car dealer refused to make a key for someone with the same last name and address of the owner.

I suspect things have changed, but in 1979, I know that locksmiths had books that allowed them to cut keys based on a VIN.
how does the dealer know who owns the car?

if they make a key to car for a person that does not own the car, they place themselves in a bit of a liability situation should the situation not be what was explained to them.

the_mayor

Thanks Steve. Is it against the law for me to take my wife's Keys and make copies. We live in the same house, have not filed for divorce, no domestic violence or anything like that. She just will not let me use the car
well, it's her car and she doesn't have to let you use her car.

So, is it against the law to take her key (notice; HER key). YES IT IS. If she not only did not give you permission but has actually forbid you from driving her car, you would be guilty of theft. Not that I believe it would ever get prosecuted but it could be considered theft, short of the old community property argument and all but...

Oh, look at that. Georgia is not a community property state so even that argument is out.

just leave her car alone.

Is this so you can take her car when you file for divorce or take it as leverage so she won't file for divorce? If so, not a smart move. You will lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">